Looking for a resume critique from a Nuke Pro

• Thread starter sonicharmony
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nuke Resume
In summary, the author graduated with a masters in nuclear engineering last summer and has not had any bites for interviews. They were just wondering if maybe some of the working nuclear professionals on here might take a peek at their resume and tell him why they think he is not getting any interviews or if they think there is something he should do or add.
sonicharmony
Hey all, I graduated with a master's in Nuclear engineering last summer after I've spent the last 10 years working as an engineer in a totally different field. I have'nt had any bites for interviews, etc I was just wondering if maybe some of the working nuclear professionals on here might just take a peek at my resume and tell me why you think I am not getting any interviews or if you think there is something I should do or add? Greatly appreciated, thanks!

####Personal Info

Summary
• Experienced engineer seeking new position in nuclear related design and operations
• Knowledgeable in thermal hydraulic analysis, heat transfer, fluid dynamics and two phase flow,
reactor physics, transient analysis, reactor safety systems, thermal analysis of fuel elements, fuel design, and NRC Regulations, Title 10 CFR, electronic circuits, hardware and programming, troubleshooting and various software and OS packages (MatLab, C++, BASIC, Windows, Windows Mobile, PPC, UNIX, LINUX)
• Strong working knowledge of NPP design (PWR/BWR), fuels, safety systems, and operations
• Experienced with reactor analysis using computer code (ex, COBRA)
• Have demonstrated abilities in problem solving and implementation of solutions, oral and written technical communications skills, and management/planning experience

Education
M.E., Nuclear Engineering 2011-2013 The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA
• 3.73 GPA
• Masters research project on single channel thermal hydraulic analysis using COBRA and OECD/PSBT data (copies available upon request from me or PSU)

B.A., Physics 1999-2003 Rutgers University, Camden, NJ
• Concentration in Computational Physics
• Numerical Analysis of Equations using C++

Miscellaneous Skills
• MATLAB experience
• Microsoft Office Proficiency
• Familiarity with high level programming concepts and AutoCAD
• Experience with reactor analysis codes COBRA-IV, COBRA-TF, FRAPCON, FRAPTRAN,
CASMO-4e

Career History
Process Design Engineer, XXXXXX, Inc. 2002 to Present
• Responsibilities include reverse engineering of industrial electronics primarily for use in the utility sector. This includes the development of software and hardware diagnostic routines, troubleshooting at the software, hardware, peripheral, and component levels, documenting repair processes for technician instruction, chronic failure and manufacture defect solutions, upgrade, design, and replacement of parts, and general oversight of repair process.
• Provide end user support and over the phone diagnostics and troubleshooting.
• Worked as both member and leader of various team projects including a tactile replacement keyboard design, a digitizer design, and RF and data device upgrades; demonstrated technical writing and communications skills in the form of service tech bulletins and perform supervisory duties.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't say what kind of job you are seeking.

Go to some sites like this one
https://nee.taleo.net/careersection/external/jobsearch.ftl?lang=en&jobfield=3001430233

and read some of the job descriptions. At this site you'll have to establish a username to do that.
Some HR outfits use the computer exclusively and won't read paper resumes.

Apply for a couple positions online. Your goal is to get that "foot in the door", an interview . To that end make your name pop up on their screens.

I can see you have experience that'd be valuable to I&C, system engineering, fuels, safety, licensing and operation departments at a nuclear utility. And i see that utility is looking for some of those specialties .

So - the zeroth rule of salesmanship is:
"Determine what is the customer(prospective employer)'s valid need."

If you can provide that, tell him so.

old jim

+1 on what Jim said. This is an example showing what a resume looks like *before* it is tailored to a specific job opening.

Thanks guys, good advice. I was trying to be as general as possible with the resume to make it as widely applicable to as many areas possible, but maybe that's not the right approach.

One more question, do you think I should be applying for mid level jobs given my experience is not in the nuclear area, or should I be looking for entry level type stuff?

gmax137 said:
This is an example showing what a resume looks like *before* it is tailored to a specific job opening.

Agreed. A glaring example is listing 57 varieties of computer OS in your summary (who cares, unless you want to be a computer system admin?), but not mentioning application-specific stuff like the list of reactor analysis codes till after people have stopped reading.

One more question, do you think I should be applying for mid level jobs given my experience is not in the nuclear area, or should I be looking for entry level type stuff?

Apply for both mid level and entry level jobs.

Remember your goal right now is just to get that interview. It's like chumming for fish.

The HR interviewer will be half psychologist so you needn't worry about the technical side with him/her, more your composure, personableness and professionalism. My advice is walk in looking like Bill OReilly not like Howard Stern.
Prepare a list of your strengths and weaknesses in case they ask that question.
A public speaking trick that's handy in interviews is to repeat a question before answering - it gives you a few seconds to think.

The working guys who interview you will size up your practical side.
When we're speaking about the familiar we are more confident so be prepared to tell them about some interesting projects you've worked on that you think might relate .

And ask them that question about your background being suitable for the job - if they don't appreciate honesty and humility it'd raise for me a red flag about the office culture there.
If you leave a good impression but things don't quite mesh up this time, they'll call back soon enough.

old jim

Thanks very much for your input Jim. Funny, I just got a call today from Hope Creek plant here in jersey for an interview next week! Really appreciate the interview advice too. You sound like you've either interviewed for lots of jobs, or been the interviewer lol. Thanks everyone who commented. Wish me luck!

Good luck to you,

and please relate your experience. It might help somebody else who visits here. Heaven knows I'm decades out of date.

old jim

1. What is "Nuke Pro"?

"Nuke Pro" is a term used to refer to professionals who work in the nuclear industry. This can include engineers, physicists, technicians, and other experts who specialize in the design, operation, and maintenance of nuclear power plants and other nuclear facilities.

2. Why would someone want a resume critique from a Nuke Pro?

Getting a resume critique from a Nuke Pro can be beneficial for individuals who are looking to enter or advance in the nuclear industry. Nuke Pros have firsthand knowledge and experience of what employers in this field are looking for in candidates, and can provide valuable insights and advice on how to improve one's resume to stand out in the competitive job market.

3. What kind of feedback can I expect from a Nuke Pro on my resume?

A Nuke Pro can provide feedback on the overall structure and content of your resume, as well as specific suggestions on how to highlight your relevant skills and experiences for the nuclear industry. They can also offer tips on how to tailor your resume for different job positions and companies.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in nuclear science to get a resume critique from a Nuke Pro?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in nuclear science to get a resume critique from a Nuke Pro. While a Nuke Pro may have specific knowledge and expertise in the nuclear industry, they can still provide valuable feedback and insights on resumes for individuals from various backgrounds and disciplines.

5. How can I find a Nuke Pro to critique my resume?

There are various ways to find a Nuke Pro for resume critique. You can reach out to your personal network or professional connections to see if they know anyone in the nuclear industry who can offer feedback on your resume. You can also join online communities or forums for nuclear professionals and ask for resume critiques. Lastly, you can hire a professional resume writing service that specializes in the nuclear industry and has a team of Nuke Pros to provide critiques and revisions.