1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Technical Writing with Social Difficulties

1. Sep 25, 2012 #1
    How likely is it that an educated (technical and writing background) but not professionally experienced technical writer could make it in the industry if she has difficulty processing verbal information and general (noticeable but not severe) social discomfort? What specific kind of work environments could she explore?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2
    What do you mean "difficulty processing verbal information". Do you have a disorder? If not, then I think you'll be just fine. Technical writing isn't all that social :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  4. Sep 28, 2012 #3
    I mean that verbal information isn't my preferred way of getting information, and it manifests as a strong reflexive tendency to zone out when people talk, requiring more energy than most people to listen, and resulting in increasing fatigue if I have to listen closely for too long or without breaks. I will start to zone out if someone talks for more than 7 - 10 seconds straight, but I can handle it up to about 30 - 40 minutes if I don't have to do it on a regular basis, I think, but that's with stuff that doesn't require full attention. It has not been diagnosed as a disorder, but I've been able to get by (in college, for example) by reading the text. I didn't get much out of lectures.

I know that technical writing not very socially involved, but I thought there was a moderate amount of interviewing subject matter experts involved.

5. Sep 28, 2012 #4
    I don't know much about technical writing, but if you can't pay attention for more than 7-10 seconds at a time then just about any profession will be a problem. I would seek out a medical professional if you are strongly concerned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook