1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Telecommuting jobs for physics majors?

1. Dec 9, 2016 #1
    What are some good telecommuting jobs that a physics major could do? Most of the legitimate jobs I've seen are software development/software support and they generally require at least 5 years of experience. I guess they don't want to take a chance with a noobie who has never had a physical location job before? They only trust seasoned veterans to work remotely? Are there any non-computer science remote jobs?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What about tutoring?

4. Dec 10, 2016 #3
    To OP:

Perhaps you should clarify your situation. E.g, are you in school now about to graduate with a BS Physics, and do you have any work experience?

5. Dec 10, 2016 #4
    If you see posted job ads, it does not hurt to apply.

One can gain lots of experience in programming without paid work by writing software and posting it to github or other servers. Write good stuff that gets downloaded and used a lot, and the fact you did not get paid to do it will not matter as much.

6. Dec 10, 2016 #5

StatGuy2000

Education Advisor

I have been working as a biostatistician for the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industries for the past 10 years, of which the last 5 have been done remotely (telecommuting). So yes, there are telecommuting jobs available outside of computer science.

My understanding is that telecommuting jobs tend to be most widely available for those with already a few years of experience under their belt, since it is expected that fresh graduates will require more direct supervision, which is generally more difficult to provide in a remote setting. That being said, it never hurts to apply for remote or telecommuting jobs wherever they are available.

As for telecommuting jobs available to physics graduates -- that depends on the specific skills available you possess (I know you've PM'd me before of your situation and your skills). Any particular reason why you can't relocate for a job?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted