Majoring in physics and math....how do I land flexible job?

In summary, the speaker is currently majoring in math and physics and plans to graduate in one year. They are interested in pursuing a career in geophysics through grad school, but will be taking a few years off to support their wife's career. They are seeking suggestions for courses that can help them land a flexible and in-demand job that utilizes their math and physics skills, possibly including computer science. They are open to different skill requirements as long as some of their math and physics skills are utilized. The speaker is also considering a Big Data Analytics Certificate offered by their school and is seeking more information on its value and relevance to potential jobs.
Scronin267
I am majoring in math and physics. I will be graduating in one year and am beginning to question what I should do. My eventual goal is to go to grad school to study geophysics, but I will be taking a few years off to allow my wife to further her career. My question is what can I study in my remaining semesters to allow me to land a descent paying job that I can use some of my skills in math/physics. I was pondering even a telecommuting job to enhance flexibility, because I will be living in Missoula, MT(population 80k). I am not against furthering my computer skills, maybe I could get a minor in computer science... but I don't really want to.
Let me know what you think,
to sum it up I want a flexible and in demand job utilizing my math/physics skills...possibly computer science skills

Physics news on Phys.org
Specifically, what math and physics skills do you want to use in your job? I would be careful in assuming that academic knowledge learned in a class translates to a useful skill for a job...

I understand that my academic knowledge isn't all that tangible to the work force, and If I weren't going to grad school I of would probably done engineering to prepare myself for the workforce better. I just want a job that isn't in retail, or the restaurant business ...etc. I want a job that might make me think, and since it is only temporary I am flexible what it may be. In other words I don't care which skills the job may use as long as it uses some skills.
I will be getting a very general physics degree (i.e. QM,EM, Lab courses, and classical mechanics...) and an applied math degree (i.e. PDE, Numerical approximation, Deterministic models...), I am comfortable with Python, because it is what we used in our lab course.
I am really looking for jobs that I may qualify for if I take a couple of different classes... for example (and I know its not this easy!) If I took a year of Java maybe I could get a job, or maybe some math analysis courses...
Thanks for the help!

Another Idea that I have is my school offers a 'Big Data Analytic's Certificate'... I don't know anything about this, but intend to talk to a couple of prof. about it. Does anyone know anything about the certificate...would it be worth an extra semester if need be?

I think that certificate would have some value, assuming you have any interest in working in some sort of data analytics role.

1. What types of jobs can I get with a major in physics and math?

With a major in physics and math, you can pursue a variety of careers such as data analyst, actuary, research scientist, engineer, or teacher. Many industries, including technology, finance, and healthcare, value the analytical and problem-solving skills that come with a degree in physics and math.

2. Is it difficult to find a flexible job with a major in physics and math?

Finding a flexible job with a major in physics and math is not impossible, but it may require some effort and networking. Many companies offer remote or flexible work options, especially in the tech industry. Additionally, freelance work or consulting can provide flexibility for those with a background in physics and math.

3. How can I make my physics and math degree more marketable for a flexible job?

To make your degree more marketable for a flexible job, consider gaining experience through internships or research projects in your field. You can also develop skills in computer programming, data analysis, and communication, which are highly sought after in many flexible job roles. Networking and staying up-to-date on industry trends can also make you a more attractive candidate for flexible job opportunities.

4. Are there any specific industries that offer more flexible job options for physics and math majors?

While there is no specific industry that exclusively offers flexible job options for physics and math majors, there are some industries that tend to have more flexible work arrangements. These include technology, finance, and consulting. However, it ultimately depends on the specific job and company, so it's important to research and network within your desired field to find flexible job opportunities.

5. Can I still advance in my career with a flexible job as a physics and math major?

A flexible job does not necessarily limit your potential for career advancement. Many companies value employees who can adapt to different work arrangements and demonstrate strong time management and communication skills. With a strong work ethic and dedication to your field, you can still advance in your career with a flexible job as a physics and math major.