1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Majoring in physics and math...how do I land flexible job?

1. Jan 1, 2016 #1
    I am majoring in math and physics. I will be graduating in one year and am beginning to question what I should do. My eventual goal is to go to grad school to study geophysics, but I will be taking a few years off to allow my wife to further her career. My question is what can I study in my remaining semesters to allow me to land a descent paying job that I can use some of my skills in math/physics. I was pondering even a telecommuting job to enhance flexibility, because I will be living in Missoula, MT(population 80k). I am not against furthering my computer skills, maybe I could get a minor in computer science... but I don't really want to.
    Let me know what you think,
    to sum it up I want a flexible and in demand job utilizing my math/physics skills...possibly computer science skills

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2016 #2
    Specifically, what math and physics skills do you want to use in your job? I would be careful in assuming that academic knowledge learned in a class translates to a useful skill for a job...

4. Jan 1, 2016 #3
    I understand that my academic knowledge isn't all that tangible to the work force, and If I weren't going to grad school I of would probably done engineering to prepare myself for the workforce better. I just want a job that isn't in retail, or the restaurant business ...etc. I want a job that might make me think, and since it is only temporary I am flexible what it may be. In other words I don't care which skills the job may use as long as it uses some skills.
    I will be getting a very general physics degree (i.e. QM,EM, Lab courses, and classical mechanics...) and an applied math degree (i.e. PDE, Numerical approximation, Deterministic models...), I am comfortable with Python, because it is what we used in our lab course.
    I am really looking for jobs that I may qualify for if I take a couple of different classes... for example (and I know its not this easy!) If I took a year of Java maybe I could get a job, or maybe some math analysis courses...
    Thanks for the help!

5. Jan 1, 2016 #4
    Another Idea that I have is my school offers a 'Big Data Analytic's Certificate'... I don't know anything about this, but intend to talk to a couple of prof. about it. Does anyone know anything about the certificate...would it be worth an extra semester if need be?

6. Jan 1, 2016 #5
    I think that certificate would have some value, assuming you have any interest in working in some sort of data analytics role.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook