1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Telescoping Series involving 3 parts.

Tags:
  1. Mar 24, 2013 #1

B18

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine whether the series is convergent or divergent by expressing s sub n as a telescoping series. If convergent find the sum.
    [tex] \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{n^3-1} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    First thing I did was partial fraction decomposition.
    Resulting in: Ʃ (n=2 to ∞) (-1/n+(1/2)/(n+1)+(1/2)/(n-1))
    What I am confused with is when I try to find the partial sum nothing is canceling out. I tried to making it into this: Ʃ(n=2 to ∞) -1/n+(1/2)*Ʃ(n=2 to ∞) (1/n-1)+(1/n+1) but this didn't click with me either.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2013 #2
    ##\displaystyle \sum_{n=2}^\infty \frac{1}{n^3-n}##,

which you found to be equivalent to

##\displaystyle \sum_{n=2}^\infty \left(-\frac{1}{n}+\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{1}{n+1}+\frac{1}{n-1}\right)\right)##

Or, equivalently,

##\displaystyle \sum_{n=2}^\infty \left(\frac{n}{n^2-1}-\frac{1}{n}\right)##

I'm not sure about the specifics of convergence/divergence for telescoping series, but maybe writing the series in this way will help.

4. Mar 24, 2013 #3

B18

The part I am currently struggling with is when i find the partial sum and plug in some numbers nothing is canceling out. Still haven't figured this out yet...

5. Mar 24, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

n=2 gives -1/2+(1/6+1/2)
    n=3 gives -1/3+(1/8+1/4)
    n=4 gives -1/4+(1/10+1/6)
    n=5 gives -1/5+(1/12+1/8)

Now notice that the 1/6 in the first line plus the 1/6 in the third line gives you 1/3 which cancels the -1/3 in the second line. Do you see the cancellation pattern now?

6. Mar 24, 2013 #5

B18

So would the sum be :-1/2+1/2+1/4=1/4 If I am understanding the cancellation pattern correctly?

7. Mar 24, 2013 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it should. Writing out a lot of terms and staring at it will usually show the pattern, plus the factor of (1/2) on some of them will suggest you need to combine some in pairs.

8. Mar 24, 2013 #7

B18

Thank you sith and dick for your help I understand the problem now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted