1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Television Wall Mounting - Torque Considerations

1. May 11, 2007 #1
    Hello!

I'm considering the purchase of a 100 pound LCD television. I anticipate mounting it with an articulating mounting system. The mounting system will allow the television to extend ~27 inches from the mounting wall (thereby creating a considerable torque load on the wall studs used). The mounting system requires anchoring it to 2 wall studs (2" X 4") approximately 16" apart. The wall mounting plate is only about 18" wide - to span 2 studs with a little horizontal location flexibility. The area I would like to use for the installation has only 2 wall studs available but they are approximately 24 inches apart.

I am considering:
    1. bolting a couple of 1/2" thick steel rectangular pieces (maybe 4" tall) between the 2 wall studs
    2.then mounting the system's wall bracket to the steel pieces through drilled holes using bolts and nuts or through threaded holes using only bolts

I really don't have any understanding of the torque implications of the above described mounting scheme as compared with the 'acceptable' torque situation in the 2 stud (16" apart) mounting.

Will the wall stud and steel bar system safely support the 100 pound television when it is 27 inches from the wall?

Do I gain anything by attaching one end of the wall mounting bracket through the steel pieces and into one of the wall studs?

Do I gain anything if I can also have the wall mounting bracked welded to the steel bars?

Any other options to safely overcome this problem installation?

I really don't want to pull the 2 wall studs through the wall board and maybe cause the wall (and maybe the house) to collapse. Less critical, but still highly unacceptable - I would't want the LCD television to come crashing to the floor. I don't think this would be covered by the manufacture's limited warranty.

In advance, thank you one and all for your suggestions.

Larry

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Draw a picture (a free body diagram). The system is a truss and each member is either in compression or tension and it isn't difficult to analyze.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?