Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tell me how string theory works and about extra dimensions in (laymen terms)

1. Nov 28, 2009 #1
    Iv'e scene the documentary about string theory and i just have a few questions about it.(laymen terms) :

1.How does string theory contribute to a unified field theory?

2.Is matter really made of "vibrationg strings"?

3.What does string theory actually mean or what has been the impact of string theory to our understanding of physics.

thankyou for reading this and your'e contributions.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2009 #2
    Please pick up any popular science textbook on string theory

also visit this page: http://www.fysast.uu.se/teorfys/sv/content/mysteries-universe-strings-branes-and-mysterious-m [Broken]

you have more links at the end of that article, enjoy

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Nov 30, 2009 #3
    1.How does string theory contribute to a unified field theory?

Lots of debate possible here: the interesting feature that originally launched string theory was the discoverey of a massless spin two particle within the theoretical math for other forces ...that's characteristic of the graviton so it was thought one mathematical framework might describe gravity,other particles, melding general relativity and quantum mechanics. The math is perturbative
    (approximate) which is bad, because it has not all been figured out yet, but elongated strings eliminate the infinities associated with point particles...making "unification" of GR and QM a possibility....tantalizing but as yet unfulfilled.

2.Is matter really made of "vibrationg strings"?

No experimental proof yet. I guess it's still a possibility.

3.What does string theory actually mean or what has been the impact of string theory to our understanding of physics.
    Lots of insights, new mathematics, new ways of thinking, new ideas about extra dimensions and their possible impact on particles and the world we do observe. No conclusive answer to how space and time transforms, but some ideas via "T duality". The standard model does not explain why particles and forces have the values they do; string theory offers a possible explanation according to vibrational energy patterns..but is not conclusive so far.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  5. Dec 1, 2009 #4
    Non professional trying to imagine what others talking about, so I picture a geometry with implicit forces in my mind. Seems to work and predict what others discovered. I predicted Sun has a hole in it and the earth is hollow, and they are connected by the quickest time, before I learned to access computer. Posted The Ontological Matter, is it bull? Real interest Bicameral Mind, Neurohologram, The Lost Ark

6. Dec 1, 2009 #5
    Both are most dense at the center..sorry.

7. Dec 5, 2009 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook