Telling whether a wave function might have physical graph

In summary: This conversation discusses the significance of two wave functions, one of which is deemed physically significant while the other is not. The difference between the two functions lies in their behavior at infinity, with the unbounded function being disqualified due to its inability to represent a probability distribution. The conversation also touches on the concept of normalization and how it relates to the wave function. In summary, the conversation highlights the importance of certain criteria for a wave function to have physical significance, such as being bounded and able to represent a probability distribution.
Von Neumann
Problem:

Which of the wave functions shown might conceivably have physical significance?

Solution:

I have attached a drawing of the two wave functions. According to my book, the one on the right could have physical significance, while the one on the left does not. Can anyone explain why not? They are both single valued, differentiable functions, so I don't see why the left one is apparently disqualified. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• wavefunction.jpg
    wavefunction.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Von Neumann said:
Problem:

Which of the wave functions shown might conceivably have physical significance?

Solution:

I have attached a drawing of the two wave functions. According to my book, the one on the right could have physical significance, while the one on the left does not. Can anyone explain why not? They are both single valued, differentiable functions, so I don't see why the left one is apparently disqualified. Thanks for any help.
attachment.php?attachmentid=56573&d=1362960230.jpg

I assume the graph on the left continues upward toward ∞ without a bound.

Hmmm, that never occurred to me. How would that take away from its physical significance?

Well, since the wave function is proportional to finding the object at a specific place at a specific time, and unbounded wave function doesn't make sense. Right?

Von Neumann said:
Well, since the wave function is proportional to finding the object at a specific place at a specific time, and unbounded wave function doesn't make sense. Right?

Yes.

Why doesn't it make sense?

SammyS said:
Yes.

Why doesn't it make sense?

It doesn't make sense logically because, according to the unbounded function, the object described by the wave function is located at an infinite number of places at the same time.

Von Neumann said:
It doesn't make sense logically because, according to the unbounded function, the object described by the wave function is located at an infinite number of places at the same time.
In order for the square of the wave function to represent a probability distribution, what has to be true of the integral of the square of the wave function ?

SammyS said:
In order for the square of the wave function to represent a probability distribution, what has to be true of the integral of the square of the wave function ?

The integral of the square of the wave function must be normalized, correct? Are you hinting that it is impossible to normalize the diverging function?

Von Neumann said:
The integral of the square of the wave function must be normalized, correct? Are you hinting that it is impossible to normalize the diverging function?
It is impossible if the integral diverges.

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a system. It represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a specific location at a given time.

2. What does it mean for a wave function to have a physical graph?

A physical graph of a wave function represents the probability distribution of finding a particle in different locations. It is a visual representation of the wave function and can help us understand its behavior.

3. How can we tell whether a wave function has a physical graph?

A wave function will have a physical graph if it is square integrable, meaning that it has a finite area under its curve. This ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1.

4. What are some examples of wave functions with physical graphs?

Some examples of wave functions with physical graphs include the Gaussian wave function, the sine wave function, and the particle-in-a-box wave function. These functions have a finite area under their curves and represent the probability distribution of finding a particle in different locations.

5. How does having a physical graph for a wave function relate to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. Having a physical graph for a wave function allows us to understand the probability distribution of finding a particle in different locations, but it does not give us information about the particle's exact position or momentum.