Temp Gradient derivation at Surface, earth as infinite half-space

In summary, Lord Kelvin used the Earth's surface heat flow to estimate the Earth's age to be 100 million years with a margin of error of 4. The problem then presents a model of an infinitely half space planet cooling by conduction and asks for the temperature gradient at the surface. The attempt at a solution involves setting boundary conditions and using the error function, but the poster becomes confused with the calculus. Another user suggests treating t as a constant and offers further assistance if needed.
mkruzic

Homework Statement

Lord Kelvin used the heat flow at the surface of the Earth to argue that the Earth was 100 million years old withing a factor of 4 error.

a.) Reproduce his logic by deriving the temperature gradient at the surface of the Earth for a planet that is cooling by conduction. Model the planet as an infinite half space.

b.) for this part we will infer the age of the Earth using kelvin's measurements. I feel fine doing this but am stuck on part a.)

Homework Equations

for all eqns: T = temp, t = time, k = kappa (thermal diffusivity), x is a variable used to define erf function, and z = positive in downward direction towards T0 (i.e. towards center of earth)

T = T0 erf(z/(kt).5), t > 0

Where "erf" is the error function and defined as:

Erf(x) = (2 / (pi)^.5) * integral( e(-(x^2)) dx) from 0 to x

The Attempt at a Solution

First I set these boundary conditions:

At t = 0, T = T0 everywhere
At z = 0, T = T1
And as z goes to infinity, T = T0 everywhere

Next, by substituting z / [(kt)^.5] into erf i got:

T = T0 * (2 / (pi)^.5) * [integral of (e^ -(z/root(kt))2) d(-z/root(kt))] from 0 to [z/root(kt)]

Then i attempted to take dT / dz and got very confused with the calculus.

Any ideas on how to go about solving this problem?

peace

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums!

It took me a while to get around to taking a careful look at this problem, or I would have responded sooner.

You may treat t as a constant, since we are looking for ∂T/∂z at a fixed time.

Hope that helps ... if not, post again.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to me with your question. I am always happy to help others understand complex concepts.

To reproduce Lord Kelvin's logic, we need to derive the temperature gradient at the surface of the Earth for a planet that is cooling by conduction. This can be done by modeling the planet as an infinite half-space.

First, let's define some variables. T0 represents the initial temperature at the surface of the Earth, T1 represents the temperature at the center of the Earth, and k is the thermal diffusivity of the Earth. We will also use z as the distance from the surface of the Earth, with z=0 representing the surface and z approaching infinity representing the center of the Earth.

Using the given boundary conditions, we can set up the following equation:

T(z,t) = T0 + (T1-T0)erf(z/(2*sqrt(kt)))

Where "erf" is the error function and defined as:

Erf(x) = (2 / (pi)^.5) * integral( e(-(x^2)) dx) from 0 to x

To find the temperature gradient at the surface, we can take the derivative of this equation with respect to z:

dT/dz = (T1-T0) * (2/sqrt(pi)) * e^(-(z/(2*sqrt(kt)))^2) / (2*sqrt(kt))

Since we are interested in the temperature gradient at the surface (z=0), we can simplify this equation to:

dT/dz = (T1-T0) * (2/sqrt(pi)) / (2*sqrt(kt)) = (T1-T0) / (sqrt(pi*kt))

Now, we can use this equation to calculate the temperature gradient at the surface of the Earth. This can then be used to determine the age of the Earth using Lord Kelvin's measurements.

I hope this helps and good luck with your homework! Remember, don't hesitate to ask for help if you get stuck again.

1. What is the definition of temperature gradient at the surface of an infinite half-space?

The temperature gradient at the surface of an infinite half-space is the rate of change of temperature with depth at the surface of the half-space. It is typically denoted by ΔT/Δz, where ΔT is the change in temperature and Δz is the change in depth.

2. How is the temperature gradient at the surface of an infinite half-space derived?

The temperature gradient at the surface of an infinite half-space is derived using the Fourier's law of heat conduction, which states that the heat flux (or heat transfer per unit area) is proportional to the temperature gradient. This can be mathematically expressed as q = -k(ΔT/Δz), where q is the heat flux, k is the thermal conductivity of the material, and ΔT/Δz is the temperature gradient.

3. What factors affect the temperature gradient at the surface of an infinite half-space?

The temperature gradient at the surface of an infinite half-space is affected by several factors, including the thermal properties of the material (such as thermal conductivity and diffusivity), the surface boundary conditions (such as heat flux or temperature), and the depth of the half-space. It can also be influenced by external factors such as solar radiation and geothermal heat flux.

4. How does the temperature gradient at the surface of an infinite half-space vary with depth?

The temperature gradient at the surface of an infinite half-space is steepest at the surface and decreases with depth. This is because the surface is directly affected by external factors such as solar radiation, while deeper layers are insulated by the upper layers and experience a lower temperature gradient.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the temperature gradient at the surface of an infinite half-space?

Understanding the temperature gradient at the surface of an infinite half-space is important in various fields, such as geology, meteorology, and engineering. It can help in predicting the subsurface temperature distribution, understanding heat flow in the Earth's crust, and designing effective insulation systems. It also plays a crucial role in studying the Earth's climate and weather patterns.