Geometrical interpretation of gradient

In summary, the magnitude of the vector \triangledown T has no physical significance, but it is used to give the length of the vector at some point (x,y,z).
binei
In 'Introduction to Electrodynamics' by Griffiths, in the section of explaining the Gradient operator, it is stated a theorem of partial derivatives is:
$$ dT = (\delta T / \delta x) \delta x + (\delta T / \delta y) \delta y + (\delta T / \delta z) \delta z $$
Further he goes onto say:
$$ dT = (\dfrac{\delta T} {\delta x} {\bf x} + \dfrac{\delta T}{\delta y} {\bf y} +\dfrac{\delta T}{\delta z} {\bf z} ) . (dx {\bf x} + dy {\bf y} + dz{\bf z} )$$
$$ = \triangledown T . d{\bf l}$$

Further, in the geometrical interpretation of the gradient it is said that:
$$dT =\triangledown T . d{\bf l} = |\triangledown T||d {\bf l}|\cos \theta$$

My question is:
1. The magnitude [itex] dT [/itex] is greatest when [itex]\theta = 0[/itex] , i.e. when [itex]\bf l[/itex] is in same direction of [itex]\triangledown T[/itex] . Since now [itex] d{\bf l} = (dx {\bf x} + dy {\bf y} + dz{\bf z} )[/itex] , to vary the direction of [itex]d{\bf l}[/itex] , the relative magnitudes of [itex]dx, dy, dz[/itex] need to be different. Am I correct?

2. Does the magnitude of the vector [itex]\triangledown T[/itex] have any physical significance, given that it gives the length of the vector at some point (x,y,z)?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes. The direction of ##\nabla T## is the direction in which ##T## grows the fastest for a fixed ##|d\vec \ell|##.

2. It is the rate at which the quantity increases when you go in the direction that it is pointing in.

Last edited:
Likes binei
Thank you for the answer. I however found it strange that the magnitudes of these dx, dy, dz are relatively different, when they themselves are all infinitesimally small quantities...

binei said:
Thank you for the answer. I however found it strange that the magnitudes of these dx, dy, dz are relatively different, when they themselves are all infinitesimally small quantities...
What do you find strange about this?

Another physical interpretation is the derivative of T in the direction normal to the contours of constant T.

Likes binei
Chestermiller said:
What do you find strange about this?
For example in a 2-dimensional case, we have the vector [itex] d{\bf l} = dx {\bf i} + dy {\bf j}[/itex]. The angle or direction of this vector can be said to be [itex] tan\theta = dy/dx [/itex] radians w.r.t x-axis. But both [itex] dx, dy [/itex] are infinitesimally small quantities. Perhaps introducing limits, we can say [itex] \theta = 1[/itex], as both [itex] dy, dx \rightarrow 0[/itex]. But how do we get other angles?

binei said:
For example in a 2-dimensional case, we have the vector [itex] d{\bf l} = dx {\bf i} + dy {\bf j}[/itex]. The angle or direction of this vector can be said to be [itex] tan\theta = dy/dx [/itex] radians w.r.t x-axis. But both [itex] dx, dy [/itex] are infinitesimally small quantities. Perhaps introducing limits, we can say [itex] \theta = 1[/itex], as both [itex] dy, dx \rightarrow 0[/itex]. But how do we get other angles?
$$dy=\sin{\theta} dl$$
$$dx=\cos{\theta} dl$$

In 3D,
$$dy=\sin{\theta} \sin{\phi}dl$$
$$dx=\cos{\theta}\sin{\phi} dl$$
$$dz=\cos{\phi}dl$$

Likes binei
binei said:

You can't reason with infinitesimal quantities in the same way that you reason with finite quantities. In fact, you can't reason with infinitesimal quantities in a logically consistent manner at all unless you use some very complicated definitions and axioms for them (e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_analysis ), which are quite different than the approach taken in physics texts.

Infinitesimals in physics texts are treated in an intuitive manner. To help your intuition, consider that the infinitesimal formulation of the derivative of a real valued function of one real variable is "dy/dx". So there you have an example where a ratio between two infinitesimal quantities can be different than 1. Reasoning with infinitesimals is an attempt to deduce results that logically require reasoning about limits without actually doing the labor of thinking about limits.

Likes binei

What is the geometrical interpretation of gradient?

The geometrical interpretation of gradient is a way to visualize the rate of change of a function in multiple dimensions. It represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest ascent of the function at a specific point.

How is the gradient calculated?

The gradient is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of a multivariable function with respect to each of its variables. These partial derivatives are then combined into a vector known as the gradient vector.

What does the direction of the gradient vector represent?

The direction of the gradient vector represents the direction in which the function increases the most rapidly. This means that if you were to move in the direction of the gradient vector, you would experience the greatest change in the function's value.

What does the magnitude of the gradient vector represent?

The magnitude of the gradient vector represents the rate of change of the function at a specific point. The larger the magnitude, the steeper the slope and the faster the function is changing at that point.

How is the gradient used in real-world applications?

The gradient is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to optimize functions and make predictions. It is also used in computer graphics to create realistic lighting and shading effects.