Temperature Change -- How fast does bread cool to room temperature?

In summary, Shiva is seeking advice on determining the temperature of bread after being stored in a warehouse at a constant temperature of 25 degrees Celsius for various time periods. However, without more specific information about the type and size of the bread, it is difficult to provide an accurate formula. A review paper on thermal properties of dough and bakery products suggests that the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of bread varies depending on its crust and type, with a heat capacity of 1.675 kJ/kgK for the crust and 2.74-2.8 kJ/kgK for the bread, and a thermal conductivity of 0.04-0.055 W/mK for the crust and 0.23-0.25 W
Shiva
Hi,

I am a non technical person seeking some advise from experts. My question is like this -

I get bread from the machine at 30 Deg. Celcius and store it at warehouse maintained at 25 Deg. Celcius along with some other bakery products. Our ware house has capacity to maintain 25 Deg. Celcius constantly. I am interested to know what would be temperature of bread after 1 hour, 2 hour, 3 hour and so on.
Please advise me in this regard, it would be great help if some one provides formula to determine the same.

Thanks in advance.

Shiva

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't be of too much help except to tell you that "bread" is an extremely broad category and I suspect that the specific heat varies a fair amount so you probably need to be more specific. Is it light and fluffy bread? Thick, heavy bread? What? How big are the loaves? Are they encased in plastic or open to the air? What? You see what I mean?

I doubt that it matters at all anyway since the difference between 25C and 30C is pretty trivial.

I got curious and found that there is a review paper by Rask on thermal properties of dough and bread. The main result is compiled in this table on page 684 of the food properties handbook:

http://books.google.nl/books?id=F9F...operties of dough and bakery products&f=false

The crust has a heat capacity of 1.675 kJ/kgK, whereas the bread is 2.74-2.8 kJ/kgK. The thermal conductivity of the crust is 0.04-0.055 W/mK and for the bread it is 0.23-0.25 W/mK.

Likes berkeman

1. How does the thickness of bread affect its cooling rate?

The thickness of bread can greatly affect its cooling rate. Thicker bread will take longer to cool to room temperature compared to thinner slices. This is because the thicker slices have more mass and therefore, more heat energy to dissipate.

2. Does the type of bread affect its cooling rate?

Yes, the type of bread can affect its cooling rate. Bread with a higher water content, such as white bread, will cool faster compared to bread with lower water content, such as whole wheat bread. This is because water has a higher specific heat capacity, meaning it takes more energy to change its temperature.

3. Can the room temperature affect the cooling rate of bread?

Yes, the room temperature can affect the cooling rate of bread. If the room temperature is higher, the bread will cool faster compared to a room with a lower temperature. This is because the temperature difference between the bread and the surrounding air is greater, allowing for faster heat transfer.

4. How does the shape of the bread affect its cooling rate?

The shape of the bread can also affect its cooling rate. A round loaf of bread will cool faster compared to a loaf with a rectangular shape. This is because the round loaf has a larger surface area, allowing for more heat to be dissipated into the surrounding air.

5. Does slicing the bread affect its cooling rate?

Yes, slicing the bread can affect its cooling rate. Slicing the bread into smaller pieces will increase its surface area, allowing for faster heat transfer and a quicker cooling rate. This is why sliced bread will cool faster compared to a whole loaf of bread.