1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature Gradient Questions

1. Oct 10, 2006 #1
    Is there a direction A in which the rate of change of the temperature function [tex]T(x,y,x)=2xy - yz[/tex] at P(1,-1,1) is -3ºC/ft? Give reasons for your answer.

For this problem I found the gradient of at the point P. So
    [tex]\nabla f = 2y|_p \mathbf{i} + 2x-z|_p \mathbf{j} - y|_p \mathbf{k}[/tex]
    which I then found was
    [tex] \nabla f = -2 \mathbf{i} + 1 \mathbf{j} + 1 \mathbf{k} [/tex]
    Then we want to know if the gradient, in the direction of A will be 3ºC, so
    [tex] \nabla f \cdot \frac{A}{|A|} = \frac{3º}{ft}[/tex]
    which means that we want an x, y, z, such that
    [tex]\frac{-2x +y +z}{\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}} = \frac{3º}{ft}[/tex]
    So I belive this is right so far, but I don't think this eqn can be solved for.

Here is the other one:
    The Celsius temperature in a region in space is given by [tex]T(x,y,z) = 2x^2 -xyz[/tex]. A particle is moving in this region and its position at time t is given by [tex]x=2t^2[/tex], [tex]y=3t[/tex], [tex]z=-t^2[/tex], where time is measured in seconds and distanace in meters.
    a) How fast is the temp experienced by the particle changing in ºC/m when the particle is at the point P(8,6,-4)?
    b) How fast is the temp experienced by the particle changing in ºC/sec at P?

So, using the chain rule
    [tex] \frac{dT}{dt} = (4x-yz)4t \mathbf{i} - (xz)3 \mathbf{j} + (xy)2t \mathbf{k} [/tex]
    For the change per meter I will just solve for one of the t eqns, and then substitute back in to the equation to find the gradient?
    Then for the change per second, it will be the opposite?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2
    Nevermind, I figured them out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?