Temperature of planets from their Luminosities at specific wavelengths.

In summary: This is an incorrect assumption - you should get the temperature of the blackbody which is the temperature of the light being emitted without being reflected.In summary, the two planets have very low temperatures, with Planet A possibly around 600K and Planet B possibly around 1800K. However, the temperatures for both planets are low compared to other planets in the solar system.
mystupidmouth
Hi!
I have worked on this for a while and cannot seem to get a reasonable answer.

I have been given the Luminosities of planets at different wavelengths and I need to determine the Temperature.
I re-arranged Planck's equation to find T but I keep getting really low temperatures

Planet A
Wave length : 500nm Luminosity 6.43*10^22Wnm
2100nm 1.07*10^14Wnm
10000nm 3.99*10^14Wnm

Planet B
Wavelength 500nm Luminosity 1.97*10^12
2100 9.47*10^9
10000nm 8.51*10^11

Any input would be very much appreciated.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
really low as in like what? Generally a planet would have a pretty low effective temperature, I'd imagine.

I go negative Kelvin. Which is incorrect. The real answer for atleast two of them should be around 600K.

can you try to show how you tried to solve it?

These numbers can't be right, The number for 2100nm can't be lower than both both the 500nm and 10000nm numbers, because the distribution has 1 maximum and goes to 0 as the wavelength goes to 0 or infinity, so at least one of the numbers must be wrong for both planets.

6.43 * 10^22 Wnm seems very large for something planet sized

Are those values supposed to be 10-x by chance? If so I think that would make them make sense.

No, those are definitely the correct values.
There is supposed to be abnormality in the temperatures as there's an extra heat source on the planet.

Well if you have a mix of two emitting objects at different temperatures, and you are unable to separate the signal from them, I don't think you can use the normal equation. Isn't that just for one object at one temperature? (This coming from someone who hasn't ever done the math, I am just guessing)

why would we need to mix temperatures? Its just trying to find the blackbody model for these values

mystupidmouth said:
why would we need to mix temperatures? Its just trying to find the blackbody model for these values

You said there was an extra heat source. Wouldn't you then have one temperature from the planet, and one from the heat source mixed together?

With a single heat source, you have 2 degrees of freedom - temperature and overall brightness (which corresponds to the solid angle the source has in the sky). With two heat sources, you have 4 degrees of freedom, so you cannot determine all parameters based on 3 measurements. You can assume that both heat sources have the same area and emittance, but that looks a bit odd.

If you try to get a blackbody temperature using spectroscopy, you will end up with the blackbody temperature of the light source being reflected [i.e., the host star].

1. What is the relationship between a planet's temperature and its luminosity at specific wavelengths?

The temperature of a planet is directly proportional to its luminosity at specific wavelengths. This means that as the temperature of a planet increases, its luminosity at that specific wavelength also increases.

2. How is the temperature of a planet determined using its luminosity at specific wavelengths?

The temperature of a planet can be determined by comparing its luminosity at specific wavelengths to the luminosity of a known reference star. By using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, the temperature of the planet can be calculated based on the difference in luminosity between the two objects.

3. Can the temperature of a planet be accurately determined from its luminosity at a single wavelength?

No, the temperature of a planet cannot be accurately determined from its luminosity at a single wavelength. In order to accurately calculate the temperature, luminosity measurements at multiple wavelengths are needed.

4. How does the distance of a planet from its star affect its luminosity and temperature?

The distance of a planet from its star can greatly affect its luminosity and temperature. The farther a planet is from its star, the less light and heat it receives, resulting in a lower luminosity and temperature. Conversely, a planet that is closer to its star will have a higher luminosity and temperature.

5. What factors other than temperature can affect the luminosity of a planet at specific wavelengths?

Other factors that can affect the luminosity of a planet at specific wavelengths include its composition, size, and atmospheric conditions. These factors can impact how much light is reflected or absorbed by the planet, resulting in a different luminosity measurement.