At What Wavelength is the Peak of the Planet's Blackbody Intensity Function?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TheCammen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Blackbody Flux
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
TheCammen
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Imagine you are trying to detect a Jupiter-like planet located 7.5E11 m from a Sun-like star. At what wavelength is the peak of the planet's Planck blackbody intensity function (assume the planet is a perfect blackbody)?

Radius of Planet r = 7E7 m
Radius of Star R = 7E8 m
Temp of Star = 5800 k
Luminosity of Star = 3.8E26 J/s

Homework Equations



Stefan-Boltzmann law j = σT^4
Total Incident Flux (σ T^4 r^2) /distance^2

The Attempt at a Solution



Now, my professor gave me the equation for Stefan's law. He then gave us the task of determining the incident flux upon the planet given by the star on the planet. If the planet is a perfect black body, then the planet will absorb and then emit all this energy. I can go through the steps to show you how I determined the Total Incident Flux equation. But I believe that it's correct.

The problem I am having now is how to change this emission to a wavelength. I feel like I need a nudge in the right direction. Do I need to rearrange Planck's law and solve for wavelength at the temperature of the planet?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What you've got there looks like a flux density at the distance of the planet. It's not a total incident flux. Remember the planet only absorbs the flux crossing through it's cross section. Then, sure, equate that to outgoing flux over the whole surface of the planet, assuming it's at a constant temperature. Then you should be able to find the temperature of the planet. Then, also sure, use Planck's law to find the wavelength at the peak.
 
Thanks! I see how to do it now. I "knew" how to solve it. The concepts just weren't clicking. Gracias!