1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mass of Planet Using Radius and Doppler Effect

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Imagine you are observing a spacecraft moving in a circular orbit of radius 128,000 km around a distant planet. You happen to be located in the plane of the spacecraft's orbit. You find that the spacecraft's radio signal varies periodically in wavelength between 2.99964 m and 3.00036 m. Assuming that the radio is broadcasting normally, at a constant wavelength, what is the mass of the planet?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] M= \displaystyle{\frac{rv^2}{G}}; \space

where \space G= 6.67\times10^{-11} \space m^3 kg^{-1} s^{-2},

\space r \space is \space km, \space and \space v \ is \space
    km/s
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, as we have a change in wavelength 2.99964 m and 3.00036 m respectively, the original signal should equal 3.00000m. With the formula from my textbook ( "Astronomy" 6th edition by Chaisson and McMillan, page 63), [tex] \frac{apparent\space \lambda}{true \space \lambda} -1 = speed \space in \space c[/tex] Then I multiply it by c and convert meters to kilometers and get[tex] \approx 36 km/s. [/tex]

I input r and G as [tex] G= 6.67\times10^{-11} \space m^3 kg^{-1} s^{-2}, \space r= 128, 000 km. [/tex]

So: [tex] M= \displaystyle{\frac{(128000km)*(36 km/s)^2}{6.67\times 10^{-11}\space m^3 kg^{-1} s^{-2}}} = 2.48\times10^{18} kg. [/tex]

When I input this answer into the website in which we do our homework by, it gives me a lousy red X. I'm sure I messed up, because I was expecting a planet approximately in the 10^20-28 kg range.

Regardless, I've been stuck on this for a bit. Help is much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Nikos

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Check your units, I think you are not converting km to m.

4. Sep 16, 2012 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

possibly you are using different values for your constants, or you have rounded off differently?
    [edit]ah - your value for G has length in meters.

5. Sep 16, 2012 #4
    Hey there,

Aha! I missed that my constant was in meters.

Honest mistake. Thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook