1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temperature of the water in Fell Beck?

1. Oct 1, 2011 #1

Mvb

Hello
    I have a question from a multiple choice test and I am not sure what to do with it. It would be great if you could help me :)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Estimate the change in temperature of the water in Fell Beck before and after it falls into the Gaping Gill pothole (depth 105 m). The specific heat capacity of water is 4.2 kJ/(kg*K).

A) 4 °C
    B) 0.25 °C
    C) 0.0025 °C
    D) 9.2 * 10^-4 °C

2. Relevant equations

C = m * c

C: Heat capacity
    c: Specific heat capacity

Q = C * ΔT

Q: Heat transfer

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not really sure how to find the mass of the water? Or the energy?
    The time I can find (105m = 1/2 * 10m/s^2 * t^2) and the rest I've got the formulas for.

Thank you for the help :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2011 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You can assume a particular quantity of water to work with. 1kg is a nice value :smile: Or you can work with "specific" values, which here means "per unit mass". So for example, the change in energy might be x Joules per kg. This bypasses having to deal with a particular value of mass.

Conservation of energy (gravitational potential energy vs kinetic energy) might be the quickest route to finding your energy due to the fall.

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3

Mvb

Thank you very much :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook