Temperatures in a central heating system

In summary, the conversation discusses a change in the central heating system from running at 80/60 to 60/40 temperatures. The energy transfer is similar between the two systems due to the minor difference in temperature drop and the negligible decrease in specific heat. However, there is a risk of thermal shock when returning water to the boiler at 40 degrees Celsius. To achieve the same heating effect, more water will need to be pushed around. The difference in temperature also affects the rate of heat transfer from the radiators to the room, with a lower approach temperature resulting in less heat transfer. It is unclear how the heat will be dissipated or why the temperature would be lower.
TSN79
A central heating system has been thought to run with temperatures 80/60, and so the flow of water through the system has been calculated accordingly. Now it turnes out that it will run with 60/40 instead. In order to have the system deliver the same effect, I assume more water will need to flow through the pipes. But how do I find out how much?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Minor difference. Since there is a 20 deg Temperature drop in both systems, and the ranges are not that different, the energy transfer is similar, with the only difference being a slight drop in the specific heat of water, usually considered negligible (a value of 1) at those temperatures.

However I would be careful returning water to the boiler at 40 deg C, there is a risk of thermal shock. You should use some sort of secondary loop at that low return temperature.

Last edited:
I would have thought the major difference was the heat to be supplied into the room. With the radiators at 60deg the dT to the room will be 2/3 what it would be at 80deg and so to give the same heating effect you are going to have to push more water around.

? the dT is 80-60=20 and 60-40=20

The dT between the radiators and the room temperature (say 20deg) is either 60 or 40.
The rate of heat transfer from the radiator to the room is proprtional to dT.

That's called approach temperature and though it is true that with a lower approach temperature you will get less heat transfer, he didn't say how the heat would be dissipated or why the temp would be lower, only that the delta-T is still 20. Ie, maybe they are fan coil units and in addition to lowering the boiler temp, they raised the airflow. We just don't know.

Last edited:

1. What is the ideal temperature for a central heating system?

The ideal temperature for a central heating system depends on personal preference and the climate of the area. Generally, a temperature between 68-72 degrees Fahrenheit is considered comfortable.

2. Why is my central heating system not reaching the desired temperature?

There are a few potential reasons for this issue. It could be due to a malfunctioning thermostat, air ducts that need cleaning, or a problem with the heating unit itself. It is best to have a professional inspect and diagnose the problem.

3. How often should I have my central heating system maintained?

It is recommended to have your central heating system serviced and inspected by a professional at least once a year to ensure it is running efficiently and to catch any potential problems early on.

4. Can I adjust the temperature in different rooms of my home with a central heating system?

Yes, you can adjust the temperature in different rooms by using individual room thermostats or by adjusting the air vents to control the airflow into each room.

5. What is the average lifespan of a central heating system?

The average lifespan of a central heating system is around 15-20 years. Regular maintenance and repairs can help prolong its lifespan, but eventually, it will need to be replaced.