Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Temporal components in metric tensors

1. Sep 14, 2014 #1
    As you may know, the metric tensor for 3D spherical coordinates is as follows:

g11= 1
    g22= r2
    g33= r2sin2(θ)

Now, the Minkowski metric tensor for spherical coordinates is this:
    g00= -1
    g11= 1
    g22= r2
    g33= r2sin2(θ)

In both of these metric tensors, all other elements are 0.

Now, the only obvious difference between the two metric tensors is the fact that the Minkowski version has a -1 in it and a temporal row and column. The first metric tensor represents just flat space, while the second one represents flat space time.

Now, in my recent studies of curvature, I was wondering if you could just add a -1 along with a temporal row and column to the metric tensor of the 3-sphere in order to make it represent a spherically curved 4 dimensional space time (just as adding a -1 and a temporal row/column to the 3D spherical coordinates metric tensor creates a 4D metric tensor that represents flat space-time).

Here is what I mean:

This is the metric tensor for the 3-sphere:

g11=r2sin2(ø)sin2(ψ)
    g22=r2sin2(ψ)
    g33=r2

The rest of the elements are 0.

As for my coordinate labels:

x1
    x2
    x3

And now, here is what I mean when I mention "adding a -1 and a temporal row/column to the metric tensor of the 3-sphere":

g00= -1
    g11=r2sin2(ø)sin2(ψ)
    g22=r2sin2(ψ)
    g33=r2

The rest of the elements are 0.

As you can see here, I just added a -1 to the 3-sphere metric tensor just as the Minkowski metric tensor for spherical coordinates adds a -1 to the metric tensor of 3D spherical coordinates.

Will adding this -1 to the 3-sphere's metric tensor make this metric represent spherically curved space time as a result?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It is not a good idea to do physics by analogy. Have you applied the definition of curvature to the resulting metric to see if it represents a curved spacetime?

4. Sep 15, 2014 #3

haushofer

Science Advisor

Only the Einstein equations can tell you that :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook