Tennis Ball Collide With Train Prob.

In summary, the tennis ball is said to be able to stop the train for a split second, due to the collision of the two objects. This is due to the fact that the energy required to reverse the direction of the trains is infinite, and the ball is in contact with the train for that split second.
Delzac
hi all,

the qns is when a tennis ball collide with a train, can the ball stop the train for a split sec, since during collision, the ball have to change direction so velocity at some point in time is equal to zero. Being at V= 0 for that split sec, and since the ball is in contact with the train, we can deduce that the train also stop temporaryly.

I know the qns has been ask B4. At that time, the answer given was that acceleration for the change of velocity is infinity, so V can nv be zero.

Now the REAL qns is how do u prove it mathematically(not logically)
that acceleration is infinity?

P.S. i tried to search for the thread but couldn't find it.(honest)

Physics news on Phys.org
The other thread was locked...

A quick search for train gives: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=125266&highlight=train

Definitive post:
Dave said:
I'm just going to say this one last time, and then y'all can do whatever you want.

There is no such thing as a perfectly rigid body. If the tennis ball and train were both perfectly rigid, we would definitely have a problem. The energy required to reverse the direction of one perfectly rigid body by another perfectly rigid body would be infinite - as would the acceleration rates.

And with infinite energy kicking around, bringing the train to a halt would be the most trivial of concerns. Note that neither the train nor the ball would be able to vapourize, or do any other such thing that would require the transfer of energy between atoms - which they can't do since they are perfectly rigid. And, since we have things changing direction without loss or gain of energy, kinetic or otherwise, we've also eliminated inertia. But I digress...

You can see how this universe rapidly deteriorates into a fantasy.

Bodies interact (transfer kinetic energy) over a non-zero distance and a non-zero time.

Last edited:
haha thanks for helping me find the tread i understand it now

Hey! I've been quoted!

1. How does a tennis ball colliding with a train occur?

When a train is moving, it possesses a large amount of kinetic energy. When a tennis ball is thrown or hits the train, it too acquires kinetic energy. When the two objects collide, the kinetic energy is transferred from the train to the tennis ball, causing it to move at a high speed and potentially causing damage to both objects.

2. What factors determine the outcome of a tennis ball colliding with a train?

The outcome of a collision between a tennis ball and a train depends on a few factors. These include the speed and mass of the train and the tennis ball, the angle at which the ball hits the train, and the materials and structure of both objects.

3. Can a tennis ball cause any significant damage to a train during a collision?

While a tennis ball may seem small and lightweight compared to a train, it can still cause damage upon impact. The force of the collision and the speed of the ball can cause dents, scratches, or even break windows on the train.

4. What safety precautions should be taken to avoid a tennis ball colliding with a train?

To prevent a tennis ball from colliding with a train, it is important to follow basic safety rules. Stay away from train tracks when playing with a tennis ball, and never throw a ball in the direction of a moving train. It is also important to properly dispose of old or worn out tennis balls to avoid them ending up on train tracks.

5. Is there any scientific research on the effects of a tennis ball colliding with a train?

There have been studies and experiments conducted on the effects of collisions between objects of different masses and speeds. While there may not be specific research on tennis balls colliding with trains, the principles of physics can be applied to understand the potential outcomes of such a collision.