1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension at an angle from hanging mass

1. Oct 14, 2011 #1
    I apologize for my multiple recent posts, but I'm having pre-exam stress, so even the simplest things seem nearly impossible. Haha..

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2pycaqg.png
    Note that connection point between the bar and the cable is not a pulley.

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem seems to be pretty straightforward, but would T=800N? (We use 10 m/s2 for acceleration due to gravity.) And also, what would clue me in to whether the bar pushes or pulls on the ropes?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2011 #2
    Draw a free body diagram of the hanging mass. You should have the tension, weight, and force the bar exerts. Split the tension into horizontal and vertical components.

The mass is in equilibrium so the left/right and up/down forces must be equal that should clue you in as to what direction the bar force is exerting.

It should be pretty straight forward to solve for tension now also.

4. Oct 17, 2011 #3
    Sorry for the late reply, but would this be the correct way to approach this?
    oidwtj.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook