Tension Change When Spreading Scales: What Happens and Why?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mouasee012
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Change Tension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
mouasee012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



physicstension.jpg

Continue to spread the scales farther apart. What happens to the tension in each scale? Why? [Quick question: There are two scales, so would I have to draw two boxes?]

Homework Equations


Fg=mg
sin70degrees=FTy/FT ---> FTy/sin70degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I understand that when the two angles are the same, then the sum of both FTen would equal to Fg. As the scales are moved further apart, then the tension of one scale would still be equivalent to the other. That must mean the tension increases as they move away, but as I thought before, they still equal to each other. I don't really understand what happens to the tension and why... I also don't quite understand the role of the x and y components besides solving for missing angles/sides and such.
 
Physics news on Phys.org