1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension in an oscillating string

1. Jun 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 120-cm-long, 3.0 g string oscillates in its n = 4 mode with a frequency of 150 Hz and a maximum amplitude of 5.5 mm. Wavelength is 0.6 m.

What is the tension in the string?

2. Relevant equations
    f = sqrt(TL/m)/2L

3. The attempt at a solution

150 = sqrt(1.2T/.003)/2.4

Solving for T gives me
    T = 324
    Which, according to the program(Mastering Physics), is wrong. I'm not sure if this is the right equation, but its the only found I could find that uses all of the information I have, excluding amplitude.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2010 #2
    The 2L only works if the string is at the fundamental harmonic. More generally, the velocity of a wave is v = f*l (in which f is frequency and l is wavelength) and v = Sqr(T/(m/L)), in which T is tension, m is mass, and L is string length.
  4. Jun 1, 2010 #3
    Ah, thank you! I got it now. I was assuming 343 m/s for the velocity. Should I not assume, unless the problem explicitly says "through air"?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook