Tension in the string of a simple pendulum

In summary, the tension in the string of a pendulum, when averaged over time, is larger than the weight of the pendulum.
BearY

Homework Statement

Is the tension in the string of a pendulum, when averaged over time, larger or smaller than the weight of the pendulum? Quantify your answer. You may also assume that the angular amplitude of the oscillations is small.

Homework Equations

For tension ##T##, angular displacement of the pendulum ##\phi## and length of the pendulum ##l##
$$T = mgcos(\phi)+ ml\dot{\phi}^2$$
$$\phi = Asin(\omega t)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I am lost at the "when averaged over time" part. I think the only way to "quantify" the answer is to examine the value of $$T_{average} - mg$$ But I don't know how to average T.

Physics news on Phys.org
BearY said:

Homework Statement

Is the tension in the string of a pendulum, when averaged over time, larger or smaller than the weight of the pendulum? Quantify your answer. You may also assume that the angular amplitude of the oscillations is small.

Homework Equations

For tension ##T##, angular displacement of the pendulum ##\phi## and length of the pendulum ##l##
$$T = mgcos(\phi)+ ml\dot{\phi}^2$$
$$\phi = Asin(\omega t)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I am lost at the "when averaged over time" part. I think the only way to "quantify" the answer is to examine the value of $$T_{average} - mg$$ But I don't know how to average T.
The first thing you would need to do is express T as a function of time.
If it is not clear how to average T over time, it might help to plot T as a function of t.
Also, think about how you might use the assumption that A is small.

Likes BearY
BearY said:
I don't know how to average T
To average over time you need to integrate wrt time. But doing that with ##T = mgcos(\phi)+ ml\dot{\phi}^2## will not be fruitful.
In approximating it for small oscillations as SHM you have already discarded third order terms; I suggest you are also expected to discard second order terms. That would approximate cos(ϕ) as ... what?

Likes BearY
haruspex said:
To average over time you need to integrate wrt time. But doing that with ##T = mgcos(\phi)+ ml\dot{\phi}^2## will not be fruitful.
In approximating it for small oscillations as SHM you have already discarded third order terms; I suggest you are also expected to discard second order terms. That would approximate cos(ϕ) as ... what?
Sorry For the late reply I just got home.
Discarding 2nd order term, from my understanding, meaning discarding ##\frac{\phi^2}{2!}##. That would make ##cos(\phi)=1##. But isn't the variation in ##cos(\phi)## the reason this question is set up this way? Because now it's just averaging the centripetal force.

Edit: I meant it's not like I know how to solve it without discarding it but still.

Last edited:
BearY said:
Sorry For the late reply I just got home.
Discarding 2nd order term, from my understanding, meaning discarding ##\frac{\phi^2}{2!}##. That would make ##cos(\phi)=1##. But isn't the variation in ##cos(\phi)## the reason this question is set up this way? Because now it's just averaging the centripetal force.

Edit: I meant it's not like I know how to solve it without discarding it but still.
I understand your doubts, so instead write out the energy equation, without any approximations, and combine that with your tension equation. You can make a small angle approximation later.

1. What is tension in the string of a simple pendulum?

Tension in the string of a simple pendulum is the force that the string exerts on the pendulum bob to keep it in circular motion. It acts towards the center of the circle and is responsible for maintaining the pendulum's oscillations.

2. How does the length of the string affect the tension in a simple pendulum?

The tension in a simple pendulum is directly proportional to the length of the string. As the length of the string increases, the tension also increases, resulting in a longer period of oscillation.

3. Does the mass of the pendulum bob affect the tension in the string?

Yes, the mass of the pendulum bob has an impact on the tension in the string. As the mass increases, the tension also increases, resulting in a slower period of oscillation.

4. How does the angle of displacement affect the tension in a simple pendulum?

The angle of displacement does not have a significant effect on the tension in a simple pendulum. As long as the angle remains small (less than 10 degrees), the tension will remain constant.

5. Can the tension in the string of a simple pendulum ever be zero?

No, the tension in the string of a simple pendulum can never be zero. If the string were to become completely slack, the pendulum would not be able to maintain its circular motion and would stop oscillating.