1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension of ball hanging from Ceiling

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 2.3 kg ball tied to a string fixed to the ceiling is pulled to one side by a force to an angle of 26.8° from the ceiling.

(a) Just before the ball is released and allowed to swing back and forth, how large is the force that is holding the ball in position?
    _________ N
    (b) Just before the ball is released and allowed to swing back and forth, what is the tension in the string?
    __________N

2. Relevant equations

F=ma?

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attempted to draw the FBD for this problem and I understand what the FBD is trying to say but I cannot get the answers for the life of me. Is the force that is holding the ball in position pulling from the horizontal direction or in the vertical direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

I believe the force is supposed to be horizontal.

The forces acting on the pendulum bob are gravity, tension of the rope and the horizontal force... divide the tension into vertical and horizontal components...

Use: [tex]\Sigma{F_x} = ma_x[/tex] and [tex]\Sigma{F_y} = ma_y[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?