1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension of ropes when laying on a hammock

1. Feb 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 50.0 kg person takes a nap in a backyard hammock. Both ropes supporting the hammock are at an angle of 15° above the horizontal. Find the tension in the ropes.

2. Relevant equations

T=mg, F=ma, T= (Tcos15°)+(Tsin15°)

3. The attempt at a solution

What I did was I started with X and Y coordinates and I figured the coordinates in the X direction would cancel out to be 0 because in one X direction it is positive and the other is negative so the total tension would be the tension in the y direction multiplied by two. What I did was I got the total tension as ƩF= 2Tsin15° which is nowhere near the correct answer in the answer key. The correct answer is 948N which would be the cos of 15 degrees and not the sin. I don't understand how you know which one to us because if the ropes are 15 degrees above the horizontal I figured the x coordinates would cancel out.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

What I did was I got the total tension as ƩF= 2Tsin15°

seems OK.

You do need to transpose to find T of course.

T = ƩF/2sin15° where ƩF is of course the weight of the person: 50*9.8

4. Feb 12, 2012 #3
    Thank you so much. I don't know where I went wrong with that one.

5. Feb 12, 2012 #4

PeterO

Homework Helper

Note that the first line of my previous post was a "cut and paste" from your original post, so you started out OK.

6. Feb 12, 2012 #5
    Yes but I figured out the answer with that specific equation. I guess I just didn't think of dividing it out. Error on basic Algebra.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook