Tension of string holding one mass to a wall, on top of another moving mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a 4.82 kg block on top of a 10.7 kg block, with a horizontal force of 69.7 N applied to the bottom block and a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.197. The person is having trouble finding the normal forces and tension in the string. The hint given suggests calculating tension from the frictional force between the blocks.
finniusmorgan
Hello!
This is my first post, I am taking an introductory physics course during my second semester of college and having some trouble with this problem. I hope I have followed the correct format, I appreciate any help that can be offered!

Homework Statement

A 4.82 kg block is placed on top of a 10.7 kg
block. A horizontal force of F = 69.7 N is
applied to the 10.7 kg block, and the 4.82 kg
block is tied to the wall. The coefficient of
kinetic friction between all moving surfaces
is 0.197. There is friction both between the
masses and between the 10.7 kg block and the
ground.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 .

Homework Equations

F=ma
f= [coefficient of friction]*Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to find the normal forces that are used in finding the frictional force, but after that I would subtract the friction from the horizontal force to find the net force on the bottom (10.7kg) object, but I do not understand how to relate that to the tension in the string holding the second object.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint : The frictional force between the blocks acts in different directions for the bodies. Tension can be calculated from it..

I would first start by identifying the key variables and forces involved in this problem. We have two masses, a horizontal force, and friction. The horizontal force is applied to the 10.7 kg block, causing it to accelerate. This acceleration will also affect the 4.82 kg block on top of it. The frictional force is dependent on the coefficient of friction and the normal force, which is the force exerted by one surface on another when they are in contact. In this case, we have two surfaces in contact - the two blocks and the bottom block and the ground.

To find the normal forces, we can use the equation F=ma. Since we know the mass and acceleration of the 10.7 kg block, we can find the normal force exerted by the ground on it. We can then use this normal force to calculate the frictional force between the two blocks, using the equation f=[coefficient of friction]*Fn. This will give us the frictional force acting on the 10.7 kg block.

Next, we can use the horizontal force and the frictional force to calculate the net force on the 10.7 kg block. This net force will also act on the 4.82 kg block on top of it. However, since the 4.82 kg block is tied to the wall, it will not accelerate horizontally. This means that the tension in the string holding the block to the wall must be equal and opposite to the horizontal force acting on the 4.82 kg block. We can use the equation F=ma to find the tension in the string.

In summary, we can use the equations F=ma and f=[coefficient of friction]*Fn to find the normal forces and frictional forces involved in this problem. Then, we can use the equation F=ma to find the net force on the 10.7 kg block, and use this to determine the tension in the string holding the 4.82 kg block to the wall. I hope this helps!

1. What is the relationship between the tension of the string and the masses?

The tension of the string is directly proportional to the masses. This means that as the masses increase, the tension in the string also increases. Similarly, if the masses decrease, the tension in the string decreases.

2. How does the speed of the moving mass affect the tension of the string?

The speed of the moving mass does not have a direct effect on the tension of the string. However, if the speed is too high, it can cause the string to break or stretch, which can alter the tension.

3. Is the tension of the string affected by the distance between the masses?

Yes, the tension of the string is affected by the distance between the masses. The farther apart the masses are, the greater the tension in the string will be.

4. Can the tension of the string change over time?

Yes, the tension of the string can change over time. This can occur if the masses are moving at different speeds, if the string is elastic and stretches, or if external forces are acting on the system.

5. How does the angle of the string affect the tension?

The angle of the string has a direct impact on the tension. The tension will be greater if the string is pulled at a smaller angle, and it will be less if the string is pulled at a larger angle.