Tension on the string is doing work

In summary: In this case, the tension force on the string is perpendicular to the displacement vector, so the work done is zero.
BlueOwl

Homework Statement

When someone ties a string to a ball and swings it in a circular motion is the string doing work on the ball?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I am a little bit lost here it does seem that the tension on the string is doing work on the ball but again there is no change in kinetic energy(constant rotation) so could there be no work at all? I am totally lost here .

Physics news on Phys.org

BlueOwl said:

Homework Statement

When someone ties a string to a ball and swings it in a circular motion is the string doing work on the ball?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I am a little bit lost here it does seem that the tension on the string is doing work on the ball but again there is no change in kinetic energy(constant rotation) so could there be no work at all? I am totally lost here .

Write down the expression for the work done by a force on an object (Hint: It is not "force times distance") and apply it to this situation.

The tension force of the string which coincide with the length of the string. It didn't make any difference of distance with the axis, so, it didn't loss any energy.

prob_solv said:
The tension force of the string which coincide with the length of the string. It didn't make any difference of distance with the axis, so, it didn't loss any energy.

In theory yes the mechanical energy of the system stays constant i.e. KE+PE=constant.

But does if work is said to be done when a force F moves it point of application through a displacement s in the direction of the force, would the string do work on the ball?

The tension force is perpendicular with the movement of s. You may not just multiply it without seeing the vector.

prob_solv, that's a dead give-away, I think you should edit it out and let the thread starter reach that conclusion by himself.

As the others have pointed out here, work is not just the force times the distance over which it is exerted on the mass. If you're more of a maths guy, this exact definition should help you:

[tex]W \equiv \vec F \cdot d \equiv |F||d|\cos{\theta}[/tex]
Work is defined as the dot product of the force vector and the displacement vector. The dot product:
[tex]\vec A\cdot\vec B\equiv |A||B|\cos{\theta}[/tex] where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between the two vectors.

What is tension on a string?

Tension on a string refers to the force that is pulling or stretching a string. It is the amount of force that is being applied to the string in order to keep it taut.

How does tension on a string do work?

Tension on a string does work by transferring energy from one object to another. As the string is pulled or stretched, it exerts a force on the object it is attached to, causing it to move and thus doing work.

What factors affect the amount of work done by tension on a string?

The amount of work done by tension on a string depends on the magnitude of the tension force, the distance over which the force is applied, and the direction of the force in relation to the direction of motion.

Can tension on a string do negative work?

Yes, tension on a string can do negative work. This happens when the force applied by the string is in the opposite direction of the motion of the object, resulting in a decrease in the object's kinetic energy.

How is tension on a string related to potential and kinetic energy?

Tension on a string is related to potential and kinetic energy because the string is transferring energy between the two. When the string is stretched, it stores potential energy, and when it is released, it transfers that energy into kinetic energy, causing the object to move.