1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension problem with 2 strings, 1 mass

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So In this problem, I have two strings, one string pulls with pounds and is 30 degrees away from an imaginary line straight down of of the two strings and there are no variables or degrees given for the second string. The weight is 20 pounds. I have been looking at this equation for hours and nothing is coming to mind. The answer is 10.3 pounds, but i don't know what to do to get there. Also have to have a free body diagram.

here is a picture of problem 2.2. The numbers is parenthesis are the answers to the problem. If i could find the answer for a, then i could easily do b.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, is the weight moving at all when it is suspended by the wires? If it isn't, what does that tell you about the forces acting on the weight?

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3
    No, it isn't moving at all. The forces are keeping the weight static. That is all I know. I've been staring at this problem for hours and still can't do a thing
    The basic equation he told us to use is:
    ∑Fx = max

5. Nov 9, 2015 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since the weight is not moving, it is in equilibrium, so that particular equation will be of little use in solving this problem.

If you were to draw a free body diagram, could you write the equations of static equilibrium for this weight?

6. Nov 9, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If nothing starts to move, what is the value of ax? There's also the y direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted