Tension pulls the bucket upward

• Thread starter 21ducks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the question is about finding the acceleration of a 3.0 kg bucket being lowered into a 10 m deep well, with a tension of 9.8 N. The answer is 6.5 m/s/s downward, calculated using the formula Net F / m = a. The tension and weight of the bucket (3.0kg * 9.81m/s/s) are subtracted to get the net force of 19.66, which is then divided by the mass of the bucket (3.0 kg) to get the acceleration of 6.5 m/s/s. The conversation ends with clarification on the steps to solve the problem.
21ducks
I have been trying to figure out how this works. I know what the answer is since someone else has previously posted the answer in the forums. I want to learn how to do it though. Here is the question:

A 3.0 kg bucket is being lowered by a rope into a 10 m deep well, starting from the top. The tension in the rope is 9.8 N. The acceleration of the bucket will be:

6.5 m/s/s downward.

He used the following formula Net F / m = a which is 19.66 / 3.0 kg = 6.5 m/s/s.

How did he get the 19.66??

Physics news on Phys.org
draw a FBD of the bucket.
tension pulls the bucket upward and w=mg pulls it downward.
if you sum the force in either direction, you should get that.

i've used 9.81 as the gravity and i got 19.63 as force instead of 19.66 but it should be fine.

From the weight of the bucket (3.0kg * 9.81m/s/s) less the tension (9.8N) = 19.66

Thanks! So let me see if I understand now. Do I multiply 3.0 X 9.81 = 29.43 for weight and then subtract the tension to get 29.43 - 9.8 = 19.63. Then plug the 19.63 into the Net F/ m = a ?

Perfect! Thank you!

Related to Tension pulls the bucket upward

What is tension?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is being stretched or pulled. It is a result of the interaction between two or more objects.

How does tension pull a bucket upward?

When an object, such as a bucket, is attached to a rope or cable and pulled upward, the tension in the rope or cable increases. This tension pulls the bucket upward because the force of the tension is greater than the force of gravity pulling the bucket downward.

What factors affect the amount of tension in a rope or cable?

The amount of tension in a rope or cable is affected by the force being applied, the length and thickness of the rope or cable, and the material it is made of. The direction of the force and the angle of the rope or cable can also impact the amount of tension.

Can tension pull the bucket downward?

Yes, tension can pull the bucket downward in certain situations. For example, if the force being applied to the rope or cable is greater than the weight of the bucket, the tension can cause the bucket to move downward instead of upward.

How is tension related to other types of forces?

Tension is a type of force that is often seen in combination with other forces, such as gravity, friction, or compression. It is an important force in many scientific and engineering principles, including the laws of motion and the design of structures.