Tensor Calculus General Theory of Relativity

In summary: The differential equation for geodesics is:\mathrm{d}s^2 = e^{2kx} \left[- \left( \mathrm{d}x^2 + \mathrm{d}y^2 +\mathrm{d}z^2 \right) + \mathrm{d}t^2 \right],where k is a constant. If v=V when x=0, show thatv^2 = \left( \dfrac{\mathrm{d} x }{\mathrm{d} t } \right)^2 + \left( \dfrac{\mathrm{d}y
Sissy
Hello

I have huge problems with the following exercise. Please give me some hints. No complete Solutions but a little bit help.

Find the differential equations of the paths of test particles in the space-time of which the metric ist

[tex]\mathrm{d}s^2 = e^{2kx} \left[- \left( \mathrm{d}x^2 + \mathrm{d}y^2 +\mathrm{d}z^2 \right) + \mathrm{d}t^2 \right][/tex],

where [tex]k[/tex] is a constant. If

[tex] v^2 = \left( \dfrac{\mathrm{d} x }{\mathrm{d} t } \right)^2 + \left( \dfrac{\mathrm{d}y }{\mathrm{d}t } \right)^2 + \left( \dfrac{ \mathrm{d} z }{\mathrm{d} t } \right)^2 [/tex]

and if [tex]v=V[/tex] when [tex]x=0[/tex], show that

[tex] 1-v^2 = \left( 1-V^2 \right) e^{2kx} [/tex].

Now I have no idea how to start. I do not want a solution. I will calculate it on my own but I need some assistance.

greetings

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to calculate the equation for geodesics given a metric? Test particles will follow geodesics.

In the lecture we had this equation:

[tex] \dfrac{\mathrm{d}^2 x^i }{ \mathrm{d} s^2 } + \Gamma ^i _{kl} \dfrac{ \mathrm{d} x^k}{ \mathrm{d} s} ~ \dfrac{\mathrm{d} x^l}{ \mathrm{d} s} = 0 [/tex]

But how to use this in my problem?

greetings

First calculate the [tex]\Gamma^i_{jk}[/tex] terms. Do you know how to do this? Then you have a set of differential equations for the 4-velocity components.

We introduced [tex]\Gamma ^m_{kl}[/tex] as

[tex]\Gamma ^m_{kl} = g^{im} \Gamma_{ikl} [/tex]

with

[tex]\Gamma_{ikl} = \dfrac{1}{2} \left( \dfrac{\partial g_{ik}}{\partial x^l} + \dfrac{\partial g_{li}}{\partial x^k} + \dfrac{\partial g_{kl}}{ \partial x^i} \right) [/tex]

and called [tex]\Gamma_{ikl}[/tex] Christoffel symbols of first kind and [tex]\Gamma ^m_{kl}[/tex] Christoffel symbols of second kind.

I think [tex]g[/tex] is the metric tensor coming from the Riemann-metric but how to calculate this [tex]g[/tex]? This is something I even did not understand it in the lecture. :frown::confused:

Also from lecture we know

[tex] \mathrm{d}s^2 = g_{lm} \mathrm{d}x^l \mathrm{d}x^m [/tex]

But I don't know how to work with this.

You said that I should calculate this christoffel symbols of second kind but what I have to differentiate in the exercise and why? I only have this metric and velocity square?

thanks for help

You have it right there. You've told me:
[tex]
\mathrm{d}s^2 = g_{lm} \mathrm{d}x^l \mathrm{d}x^m
[/tex]

and:

[tex]
\mathrm{d}s^2 = e^{2kx} \left[- \left( \mathrm{d}x^2 + \mathrm{d}y^2 +\mathrm{d}z^2 \right) + \mathrm{d}t^2 \right]
[/tex]

So, remembering that

[tex] dx^i = (dt, dx, dy, dz) [/tex]

Can you tell me what [tex] g_{ij}[/tex] is? If not, you need to go back and review whatever textbook or reference materials you are using.

1. What is Tensor Calculus?

Tensor Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of tensors, which are mathematical objects that describe linear relationships between geometric vectors, scalars, and other tensors. It is a powerful tool used in various fields, including physics and engineering, to describe and solve problems involving multidimensional systems.

2. What is the General Theory of Relativity?

The General Theory of Relativity is a theory of gravitation developed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It is a geometric theory that explains the force of gravity as the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of massive objects. This theory has been proven to be accurate in explaining the motion of objects in the universe, including the bending of light and the behavior of black holes.

3. How are Tensor Calculus and General Theory of Relativity related?

Tensor Calculus is an essential tool in the development and application of the General Theory of Relativity. The theory uses tensors to describe the curvature of space and time, and Tensor Calculus is used to solve and manipulate these tensors to make predictions about the behavior of objects in the universe.

4. What are some real-life applications of Tensor Calculus and General Theory of Relativity?

Tensor Calculus and General Theory of Relativity have many practical applications in various fields. For example, they are used in the field of astrophysics to study the behavior of celestial objects, in aerospace engineering to design spacecraft trajectories, and in geodesy to measure the Earth's gravitational field.

5. Is Tensor Calculus and General Theory of Relativity difficult to understand?

Tensor Calculus and General Theory of Relativity can be challenging to grasp at first due to their complex mathematical concepts. However, with proper study and practice, one can develop a solid understanding of these theories. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus and linear algebra, before delving into Tensor Calculus and General Theory of Relativity.