1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Terminal voltage and electromotive force

1. Apr 26, 2007 #1
    Hi everybody!

I'm a physics-interested guy from Norway, who have a question. We don't have any such exellent forums in Norway. :-) I hope you understand my english by the way. :-)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have a battery with internal resistance 2 Ohm. The voltmeter shows 9 volt when no current goes through the circuit (switch open). (Then, the electromotive force is 9 volt, right?)
    When this switch is closed, i.e. current goes through the circuit, the voltmeter shows 7,8 volt. In this circuit we therefore have a resistance with 13 ohm.

If we now have two resistances (13 ohm and 30 ohm) switched parallell (do you understand my english. :-) ). (Then we have a resultant resistance 9,07 ohm, right?)

Then the questions:

1. What shows the voltmeter now? (we need to find the terminal voltage, right?)

2. What's the current through the resistance with 13 ohm?

2. Relevant equations
    -

3. The attempt at a solution

1. According to my calculations, the terminal voltage now is 7,4 volt.

2. The current through resistance 13 ohm: 0,567 Ampere.

But I don't know whether this is right?

Hope I'll get answer from some physics genius!! :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you've got it. I get SLIGHTLY different answers, but then you are rounding your numbers somewhat differently in different places.

4. Apr 26, 2007 #3
    Ah!! Good to hear! :-)
    To be exact: I calculated the terminal voltage (question 1) to 7,374. Did you get the same answer?

5. Apr 26, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. I got 7.373949579831933. :wink:

6. Apr 26, 2007 #5
    Heh. :-)
    Thank you very much by the way!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?