Termodynamics: heat supplied with loss of mass

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
libelec
Messages
173
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the mass of liquid lead at fussion temperature needed to heat up 1kg of liquid water from 20ºC to 60ºC, considering P = 1 atm, and a loss of 100 mg of water due to local vaporization.

My question is: what do I do with that loss of mass? Do I calculate Q for m = (1000 - 0,1) g?

I'm really at loss with that.

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Final mass of water is 1kg-100mg, no doubt about it. Question is whether heat of vaporization should be taken into account or not in heat balance. However, check if it matters - we are talking about 10-4 of the initial mass, most likely difference will be way below accuracy of the final result.

--
 
Yes, apparently I had to use that mass to calculate heat through the change of phase equation: Q = m*(delta)H.

Thanks.