1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hot metal added to Water, Heat Capacity Problem

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 100.0 g copper sample (specific heat 0.385 J/g K) at 100 C is added to 50.0 g of water at 26.5 C. What is the final temperature of the copper-water mixture?

2. Relevant equations

q = q(copper) + q(water)

q = (heat capacity)(change in Temp.)

q = (specific heat)(mass)(change in Temp.)

3. The attempt at a solution

So far i have found the heat capacity of copper to be 0.385 J/K

I know the metal loss of heat must equal the waters gain in heat but i do not know how to calculate the gain/loss.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2011 #2
    It seems you have the idea. To find the final temperature, try setting -qcopper = (specific heat)(mass)(change in Temp.) equal to qwater = (specific heat)(mass)(change in Temp.)

Another thing to keep in mind that should help you solve for final temperature, is that the at the end, the temperature of the water and the copper are going to be equal. So, if you think about what (change in Temp) really is, you should find yourself with an equation and one unknown, Tfinal, and from there you should be able to solve for temperature at the end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook