Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing series with ln's for convergence

1. Feb 12, 2007 #1
    I'm pretty embarassed that with a math degree I don't know how to do this. But today someone asked me to help him test this series for convergence:

[tex]\Sigma \, ln(\dfrac{(k+1)^{2}}{k(k+2)} )[/tex]

Maybe I'm just having a brain fart, but I can't think of any series to compare this to, and I obviously can't use the ratio, root, or integral tests. Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2007 #2
    One other question, if you guys don't mind. I saw the following series,

[tex]\Sigma \, \dfrac{(k+2)}{2^{k}k(k+1)}[/tex]

Anyway, it's pretty obvious that this series converges, but is there a way to precisely determine what it converges to?
  4. Feb 12, 2007 #3
    The first one isn't too hard using the rules of logs when you write them out in a series, realising you're actually considering the total multiplication of all the bits inside the ln( ... ) and then taking the ln.

[tex]\ln \left( \frac{(k+1)^{2}}{k(k+2)} \right) + \ln \left( \frac{(k+2)^{2}}{(k+1)(k+3)} \right) + \ln \left( \frac{(k+3)^{2}}{(k+2)(k+4)} \right) = \ln \left( \frac{(k+1)(k+3)}{k(k+4)} \right) [/tex]

Notice that the k+2 terms have cancelled along with one factor of the other numerators. Extending this you get

[tex]\ln \left( \frac{(k+1)^{2}}{k(k+2)} \right) + \ldots + \ln \left( \frac{(k+n)^{2}}{(k+n-1)(k+n+1)} \right) = \ln \left( \frac{(k+1)(k+n)}{k(k+n+1)} \right) [/tex]

Can you see from the 3 term case why it extends to this? All terms cancel except two in the first and two in the last.

Split this up back into two expressions :

[tex]\ln \left( \frac{(k+1)}{k} \right) + \ln \left( \frac{(k+n)}{(k+n+1)} \right)[/tex]

Take n-> infinity gives the second term as ln(1) = 0. The first term depends on what you're taking k to be. If you start at k=1 then you end up with the total sum as ln(2).

Job's a good 'un :)

I'm not sure about the second one. I'd give it a try, but it's 2.40am and I should be asleep :eek:
  5. Feb 12, 2007 #4
    Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that! Thanks a lot for your help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?