1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[tex](ax+by)^2 \leq ax^2+by^2[/tex] for every a,b which satisfy

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1
    [tex](ax+by)^2 \leq ax^2+by^2[/tex] for every a,b which satisfy [tex]0\leq a,b\leq1[/tex] and a+b=1.

My book consider this as trivial however I have hard time to prove this, will appreciate your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2011 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Re: inequality

Expand the left side, let b=1-a and simplify. See if you can convert all factors involving a into a2-a :wink:

4. Jul 8, 2011 #3

I have tried many things including this one, how should I approach these kind of problems?
    What is the intuition? Is the solution process of these kind of problems really involves trial and error method or I miss something?

5. Jul 8, 2011 #4

Eventually i came to this nasty prove:

[tex]ax^2+by^2-(ax+by)^2=ax^2+by^2-a^2x^2-2abxy-b^2y^2=(a-a^2)x^2-2abxy+(b-b^2)y^2=(a-a^2)x^2-2(a-a^2)xy+(b-b^2)y^2=(a-a^2)[(x-y)^2-y^2]+(b-b^2)y^2=
    (a-a^2)(x-y)^2+y^2[b-b^2+a^2-a]=(a-a^2)(x-y)^2+y^2[2ab] \geq 0[/tex]

Is there a more efficient approaches to such problems?

6. Jul 9, 2011 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes, use the fact that a+b=1, thus b=1-a. Use this conversion early on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook