Text and latex interpreter in xlabel

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Text
In summary, the conversation discusses how to include the unit "mm^3/s" in the xlabel of a plot using LaTeX syntax. The answer is shared, which involves using either the traditional or the new Name=Value syntax. The conversation also mentions a previous experience with using html tags for formatting text.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I'm going insane here. How can I have the following in xlabel: ##Q \text{ (mm\sup 3/s)}##?

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer is here:
Code:
xlabel(['$Q$', ' (mm \textsuperscript{3}/s)'],'Interpreter','latex')

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Smetimes these kinds of display issues with text drive one insane. I once had to render some funky labels in Java and discovered that display text could in fact be a string of html tags to resize, colorize, fontify (a made up word to mean change the font to a more desireable one) the text. It really made my day too.

Likes member 428835
joshmccraney said:
Answer is here:
Or,
Till R2020b:
xlabel('$Q~\left( \mathrm{mm}^3/\mathrm{s} \right)$', 'Interpreter', 'latex')
Or, using the new Name=Value syntax introduced in R2021a,
R2021a and later:
xlabel('$Q~\left( \mathrm{mm}^3/\mathrm{s} \right)$', Interpreter='latex')

Likes member 428835 and jedishrfu

1. What is the purpose of the "xlabel" function in text and latex interpreter?

The "xlabel" function in text and latex interpreter is used to add a label to the x-axis of a graph or plot. This label is typically used to describe the variable or data being plotted on the x-axis.

2. Can I use latex formatting in the xlabel function?

Yes, the xlabel function supports latex formatting, which allows for more complex and customizable labels. By using latex syntax, you can add mathematical equations, symbols, and special characters to your xlabel.

3. How do I change the font size or style of the xlabel?

To change the font size or style of the xlabel, you can use the "FontSize" and "FontName" properties in the xlabel function. These properties allow you to specify the font size and font type, respectively.

4. Can I add multiple lines of text in the xlabel?

Yes, you can add multiple lines of text in the xlabel by using the "\n" symbol to indicate a line break. This is useful for creating more descriptive or organized labels for your graph.

5. Is it possible to rotate the xlabel?

Yes, the xlabel function allows you to rotate the label by specifying the "Rotation" property. This is useful when you have a long label or when you want to change the orientation of the label for visual purposes.