How to use Times New Roman for part of a LaTeX document

  • Topic: LaTeX 
  • Thread starter Thread starter brotherbobby
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Font Latex
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 6K views
brotherbobby
Messages
809
Reaction score
178
TL;DR
Can a portion of a document in ##\rm{\LaTeX}## be converted into the well known ##\verb|Times New Roman|## font?
I am writing a document (article) in ##\rm{\LaTeX}##. Due to easier reading and differentianting a portion of the text from the rest, it is necessary for me to use some other font and I have chosen the ##\verb|Times New Roman|##. However, I don't know how to go about it.
Are there any packages? Is there a font code for the Times New Roman font that I'd need to specify for the portion in question?
Many thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are ok with Times, you can simply use
Code:
{\fontfamily{ptm}\selectfont
This text is typeset in Times.
}
 
Thank you at @DrClaude.

So the ##\rm{LaTeX}## font code for the ##\verb|Times|## font is {ptm}. One simply has to know it.

Do you know where can I find a list of fonts I can use in ##\rm{LaTeX}## with the font code?
 
Thank you @DrClaude. Actually, upon a bit of search, I found an even better catalogue of ##\rm{LaTeX}## fonts online : LaTeX Fonts .
I suppose a huge difference with ##\text{MSWord}^{\circledR}## is that over there I can install fonts on my computer (as .ttf or .otf) and just select them from the drop down menu when I type. In ##\rm{\LaTeX}## however, there's no such thing. If a font you want doesn't exist, you have to do without it.