Textbook for Calculus [Self-Learn]

In summary, the book the 16 year old Toronto resident is considering is the Stewart, Davison, and Ferroni Calculus textbook. He is worried that he is not strong in math and that a more difficult book would be too difficult, but he is also considering Mathwonk's guide.
Artermis
I've been entertained recently by the prospect of learning Calculus by myself. I'm living in Toronto, Ontario; 16 years old. I've got a good deal lined up on a textbook already from a guy that goes to York University (have not yet confirmed); it's:

Course: MATH 1515 - Introduction to Calculus
Title: Calculus - A First Course
Authors: Stewart, Davison, Ferroni

when I became skeptical about what book I should buy. Is this a good book? Are there better ones?

Keep in mind that I'm not very strong at math, so an idiot-proof Calculus book would be appreciated, something that isn't too dry (I get bored if I'm not interested in what I'm learning), and does not require grasping leaps of concepts (preferably guiding and methodical).

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it does sound friendly enough :D Is there anyway that you can possible take a look at the material inside the book?

Important question: Have you mastered high school algebra and possibly trigonometry yet? If you haven't, it is important that you do so before attempting calculus.

hear, hear! harken to what tensorkhan is advising, especially algebra, and even arithmetic.

it is sad to see students taking calculus who cannot figure out, when x gets large, whether (1/x) gets large or small.

or who do not know how to factor ( x^2 - a^2), or write the equation of a straight line through two given points, or figure out how -x could be positive (if x is negative).

I had already taken a course in Calculus I, II and III with the Calculus textbook by James Stewart which wasn't very precise with its definitions, and some of the exercices were elemental... If you want to understand Calculus, instead of Calculus as merely a tool, go for Michael Spivak's Calculus book, i believe it's very precise and full of proofs, no more take this as it is... :smile:

While Spivak's book is hands down an amazing textbook, and one that should eventually be consulted for calculus, the OP expressed that he (yes he's a he, even though at first I thought he was biritney spears due to his avatar :smile:) is not very strong in math, so a textbook like Spivak's may be too difficult as an intro.

PS
I also thought that mathwonk was a cuddily little gerbil (or whatever creature that is), but that also turns out to be false :grumpy:

Last edited:
Mathwonk's avitar is not a girble it is obviously pikachu, and you never know maybe it is true.

who says I'm not a gerbil! actually I'm a hobbitt. (the picachu refernce makes it painfully clear there are some movies i have missed lately.)

( i don't know how to load a personal avatar, and i thought after perusing the standard choices, that "the punisher" was a little scary, especially given some of the questionable things i have been known to say, inadvertently of course.)

Last edited:
i think Thomas and Finney is an excellent book for Calculus .

elliott gootman wrote a nice little 15 dollar paperback guide to accompnay calculus for people who are finding it hard to understrand their text. it does not substitute for a full textbook treatment but helps a lot to understand the material in one.

1. What is a calculus textbook and why is it important for self-learning?

A calculus textbook is a comprehensive guide that covers the fundamental concepts and principles of calculus, a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is important for self-learning because it provides a structured and organized approach to learning calculus, allowing individuals to study at their own pace and grasp the concepts more effectively.

2. How do I choose the right calculus textbook for self-learning?

Choosing the right textbook for self-learning depends on your current level of understanding and learning style. Look for a textbook that is well-structured, has clear explanations, and offers plenty of practice problems with solutions. It is also helpful to read reviews and get recommendations from others who have successfully self-learned calculus.

3. Can I use a calculus textbook for self-learning if I have no prior knowledge of calculus?

Yes, most calculus textbooks are designed for beginners and assume no prior knowledge of the subject. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry as they are essential for understanding calculus.

4. How can I effectively use a calculus textbook for self-learning?

To effectively use a calculus textbook for self-learning, it is important to have a study plan and stick to it. Start by reading the chapters and understanding the concepts, then work on practice problems to reinforce your understanding. It is also helpful to seek clarification from online resources or a tutor if you encounter difficulties.

5. Are there any supplemental resources that can aid in self-learning from a calculus textbook?

Yes, there are many supplemental resources available such as online tutorials, video lectures, and practice worksheets. These can be used in conjunction with the textbook to enhance your understanding and grasp of the concepts. You can also form a study group with other self-learners to discuss and solve problems together.