Textbook made mistake in algebra, help

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which the writer needs to solve for t using the equation y-y0 = v0 t + 1/2 a t^2. The textbook provides a solution of t = sqrt( (2(y-y0) - 2 v0) / a ), but the solution is incorrect as it does not account for the presence of v0. The correct solution is t = sqrt( (2(y-y0)) / a ). The conversation also discusses the incorrect dimensional analysis used in the textbook's solution and the confusion caused by the incorrect equation. It is suggested that the textbook either presents the general quadratic formula or starts with v0 = 0 to avoid confusion.
raddian

Homework Statement

There is an image but I will reiterate my problem.
The writer is solving for t. Okay, easy enough.

Homework Equations

y-y0 = v0 t + 1/2 a t^2

Textbook says

t = sqrt( (2(y-y0) - 2 v0) / a )

The Attempt at a Solution

Shouldn't it be

t = sqrt( (2(y-y0) - 2 v0 t) / a )

Let's take it slow.

Multiply both sides by two.

2(y-y0) = 2 v0 t + a t^2

Bring (2 v0 t) to left side.

2(y-y0) - 2 v0 t = a t^2

Divide both sides by a.

(2(y-y0) - 2 v0 t) / a = t^2

Sqrt both sides.

This really bugs me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-09-04 at 02.00.34.png
    Screenshot 2014-09-04 at 02.00.34.png
    930 bytes · Views: 343
Physics news on Phys.org
dimensionally you can see theirs is wrong

Writing in standard form:

y-y0 = v0 t + 1/2 a t^2 becomes

(1/2) a t^2 + v0 t - (y-y0) = 0

so that for the general quadratic in t, A t^2 + B t + C = 0,

A = a/2

B = v0

C = -(y - y0) = (y0 - y)

and the roots are

t = [itex]\frac{-v_{0} \pm \sqrt{v^{2}_{0}-4(a/2)(y_{0}-y)}}{a}[/itex]

With your algebra:

you wind up with 't' on both sides of the equation, which isn't conducive to obtaining a solution for t without iterating.

My 'guess' is v0 = 0 somewhere in the problem statement.

The textbook (or solution manual) write is completely wrong with his t = ...
He/she should have written y-y0 = 1/2 a t^2 first and then proceeded to t = ... (without the -2v0).

I hope this isn't illegal but I would like to copy the webpage the page of the textbook to show you guys the problem. Will this be illegal?

raddian said:
I hope this isn't illegal but I would like to copy the webpage the page of the textbook to show you guys the problem. Will this be illegal?

Just the one page for this purpose should be fine.

The page is attached as an image.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-09-04 at 13.09.08.jpg
    Screenshot 2014-09-04 at 13.09.08.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 328
The book is wrong. They already said v0 = 0 so they should have removed it from the equation.

Your equation
is "right", but it's only useful in this problem because v0 = 0 and therefore to v0t = 0.
If v0 is not 0, you have to solve the quadratic equation as Steamking said.

Stupid wrong books. Paid good money...

Alright I really like SteamKing's answer. Clearly states how the t went missing. Thanks. Really helps

Yeah the book doubly messed up. First, as you show the answer is flat out wrong and second it doesn't even make sense to try to do what they did. Doing what they did would trap you with a t on both sides which is useless unless you lucked out to have v0=0. They forget to bring the t over though which makes it look like they actually used a method that would be some general form to solve things. It really makes no sense and it doesn't even give the right dimensions that even work out.

Either they should have presented it full out in general with the whole -b+/srt( )/blah etc. formula or just plugged in 0 for v0 to start and then just did d=1/2 * a * t^2 and then get t= sqrt(2d/a)

Man that is really messed up. It's hard to believe that is published in a book like that.
Is that in the published book or just in some supplementary web material for the book?

It came with the webassign package. So it's hard to tell it's from the book or supplements because even the chapters look like supplements (i.e. each chapter and section is a weblink to a different one-page webpage)

1. What should I do if I find a mistake in my algebra textbook?

If you find a mistake in your algebra textbook, the first thing you should do is notify your teacher or professor. They may already be aware of the mistake and can provide clarification or correction. If they are not aware of the mistake, they can bring it to the attention of the textbook publisher.

2. How common are mistakes in algebra textbooks?

Mistakes in textbooks are not uncommon, but they are also not extremely common. Most textbooks go through multiple rounds of editing and review before being published, but human error can still occur. It is important to always double check your work and ask for clarification if you are unsure about a concept.

3. Will a mistake in my textbook affect my understanding of algebra?

If the mistake is minor, it is unlikely to greatly impact your understanding of algebra. However, if the mistake is significant and changes the meaning or solution of a problem, it could potentially cause confusion. This is why it is important to address any mistakes you find and seek clarification if needed.

4. Can I get a refund or replacement for my textbook if it has a mistake?

This depends on the policies of the textbook publisher. Some may offer refunds or replacements for textbooks with significant errors. It is best to contact the publisher directly to inquire about their policies and procedures for addressing mistakes in their textbooks.

5. How can I avoid relying on incorrect information in my textbook?

The best way to avoid relying on incorrect information is to always double check your work and seek clarification from your teacher or professor if you are unsure about a concept. You can also consult other resources, such as online tutorials or study guides, to supplement your textbook and ensure a thorough understanding of the material.