Textbooks on qubits/trapped ions/BECs for quantum computing

In summary: I would recommend the following:-A.W. Muehlhauser and T.A. Walmsley, "Bose-Einstein Condensation of Atoms and Molecules," Reviews of Modern Physics, volume 77, number 01, January 2005.-C.D. Lee and A.W. Muehlhauser, "Bose-Einstein Condensation in Liquid Helium: A Review," Reviews of Modern Physics, volume 85, number 01, January 2009.-L.T. Esposito, "Bose-Einstein Condensation of Atoms and Molecules in a Magnetic Trap," Scientific Reports, volume 7, number 1, January 2017.
Marisa5
Hello,

I was wondering if any of you know about good books on various qubit approaches for making quantum computers. There are a lot of road maps on the internet covering the pros and cons of each approach (for example: https://qt.eu/app/uploads/2018/04/QT-Roadmap-2016.pdf ) but I was hoping there would be something more comprehensive that dives into the technical side behind them. I'm specifically interested in ion traps and bose-einstein condensation as a viable route because it suits my research interests. Thank you for your help!

<3

Physics news on Phys.org
I would be surprised if there was a textbook on the subject. The field is not mature enough. Once a technology has asserted itself as the way to make an actual quantum computer, people will start writing about that technology.

Even from the point of view of research, you are talking about fields that are pretty much orthogonal to each other. So apart from policy papers, I don't think you'll find a source describing all the different approaches. You'll have to look up review papers in each individual field.

Likes Marisa5
DrClaude said:
I would be surprised if there was a textbook on the subject. The field is not mature enough. Once a technology has asserted itself as the way to make an actual quantum computer, people will start writing about that technology.

Even from the point of view of research, you are talking about fields that are pretty much orthogonal to each other. So apart from policy papers, I don't think you'll find a source describing all the different approaches. You'll have to look up review papers in each individual field.

That's what I was concerned about, thank you DrClaude. I've seen a textbook here or there on atom trapping but was hoping there would be something more specific to quantum computing or bose-einstein condensates.

I should have mentioned also the fact that the field is moving very fast. Looking at the book Charged Particles Traps II: Applications by Werth et al. (Springer), there is a chapter entitled Quantum Computing with Trapped Charged Particles, but it already feels out of date, even though the book is from 2009.

On the topic of BEC with trapped atoms, there are good books that are still relevant, and some more recent review articles.

Likes Marisa5

1. What are qubits and how are they used in quantum computing?

Qubits, or quantum bits, are the basic unit of information in quantum computing. Unlike classical bits which can only exist in a state of 0 or 1, qubits can exist in a superposition of both states simultaneously. This allows for complex calculations to be performed in parallel, making quantum computers much more powerful than classical computers.

2. What is the significance of trapped ions in quantum computing?

Trapped ions are a promising method for creating and manipulating qubits in quantum computing. They involve using lasers to trap ions in a specific location, allowing for precise control and measurement of their quantum states. This makes them ideal for use in quantum computing experiments and potential applications.

3. How do Bose-Einstein condensates (BECs) factor into quantum computing?

BECs are a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures where a large number of particles occupy the same quantum state. This unique state allows for the creation of macroscopic quantum systems, making them useful for studying quantum phenomena and potentially for use in quantum computing systems.

4. What are some recommended textbooks for learning about qubits, trapped ions, and BECs in quantum computing?

Some recommended textbooks on these topics include "Quantum Computing: A Gentle Introduction" by Eleanor Rieffel and Wolfgang Polak, "Trapped Ion Quantum Computing" by David J. Wineland and David Kielpinski, and "Bose-Einstein Condensation in Dilute Gases" by C.J. Pethick and H. Smith.

5. Are there any current applications of qubits, trapped ions, or BECs in quantum computing?

While quantum computing is still in its early stages, there are some current applications of these technologies. For example, trapped ions have been used to demonstrate basic quantum algorithms, and BECs have been used for quantum simulations. However, much more research and development is needed before these technologies can be fully utilized for practical quantum computing applications.