Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News The 114th Congress (spanning 2015-2017)

1. Nov 6, 2014 #1

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What to expect from the next (114th) US Congress?

Addison Mitchell "Mitch" McConnell, Jr., the senior United States Senator from Kentucky, will ostensibly be the next Senate majority leader.

Boehner touts bills to repeal Obamacare, build Keystone
    http://news.yahoo.com/speaker-boehn...one-repeal-obamacare-183414059--business.html

Boehner warns Obama on immigration
    http://news.yahoo.com/gop-charge-eager-move-keystone-xl-taxes-080430850--politics.html [Broken]

Edit: GOP's midterm rout shapes 2016 presidential race (Nov 9, 2014)
    http://news.yahoo.com/gops-midterm-rout-shapes-2016-presidential-race-133052110--election.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Same ol', same ol'. The GOP has had a four year majority in the house and lacked the guts to refuse advances on next century's allowance ("Here's your appropriation. Take it or leave it." Let the spoiled brats in the senate and wh hold their breaths and turn blue). One spoiled brat, or sixty, they're going to cave in.

4. Nov 12, 2014 #3

mheslep

Gold Member

How long should the government have been allowed to remain shutdown? Entitlement checks, military pay, etc, threatened? When has there ever been such a victory in the House alone?

5. Nov 12, 2014 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

My hopes:
    1. Redux of Newt's Contract with America.

2. Obama's need for a new AG causes his legislating from the Oval Office to blow up in his face. Sample question for the prospective new AG: Do you see your oath as requiring you to enforce the law/Constitution or are you just going to do whatever Obama tells you to even if it is illegal or fails to enforce the law?

The combination of the two may force Obama to negiotiate with Congress.

6. Nov 12, 2014 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If senate and wh choose to hold appropriation for "necessary" items hostage forever, leave it shut down forever --- it ain't working well enough to be worth saving. Gruber has allegedly described the American public as too stupid to figure out who's gaming them --- might have been a surprise or two for wh and 112th and 113th congresses had GOP had the guts. They didn't, they don't, and they ain't gonna have. The spoiled three year old brat is going to continue filling his diapers for the next two years, and the 114th is going to continue changing them for him.

7. Nov 13, 2014 #6

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Immigration, Keystone top first day of lame duck
    http://news.yahoo.com/keystone-immigration-top-first-day-lame-duck-081857300--politics.html [Broken]

Hopefully, they'll start passing budgets rather than continuing resolutions.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Nov 16, 2014 #7

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Republicans weigh government shutdown to stop Obama on immigration
    http://news.yahoo.com/republicans-w...op-obama-immigration-183713034--business.html

9. Nov 16, 2014 #8

mheslep

Gold Member

10. Nov 16, 2014 #9

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I guess most of this is noise/posturing at the moment.

It will make for an interesting SOU address in January.

11. Nov 17, 2014 #10

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

12. Nov 17, 2014 #11

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's not a veto-proof congress --- and the white house talk has been all about fighting congress every step of the way for the next two years. Look for lots of foot-dragging, name calling, buck passing, fault finding, blame-games and continuing resolutions.

13. Nov 18, 2014 #12

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

And more lawsuits.

14. Nov 21, 2014 #13
    I had that debate with my lab mates at school; some of them claimed that the GOP taking control of the Senate will make a turn for the worse for American scientific policy, while others claimed that the House has the largest share of responsibility because they have the primary fiscal responsibilities in Congress. Yet, with Senate approval necessary for the appointment of the leadership of the grant-awarding agencies, the Senate can wield its power of filibuster to effect change upon them.

As it stands now, I would say that the United States have been better with respect to scientific policy than Canada has been of late, hence why I ruled out earning a PhD in a Canadian university.

So which chamber of Congress actually plays the greater role in scientific policy?

15. Nov 21, 2014 #14

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

16. Nov 21, 2014 #15
    I knew that gridlock happened because of how partisan are Congressmen in general (both House members and Senators) when each chamber is controlled by different parties, but, two months from now, the Senate will be under Republican control, with a Republican-dominated House. However, Congressional role goes far beyond appropriations.

Even so, do you expect the Republicans in the Senate to actually enable additional damage to scientific policy?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  17. Nov 21, 2014 #16

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What "scientific policy?" Beyond the tattered remains of Vannevar Bush's legacy, there hasn't really been any policy other than willy-nilly reaction to "shortage of engineers," or, "public school performance on standardized tests plummets relative to third world," or "proof that Reagan's SDI will never work at 100% efficiency," and of course the climate issue, energy shortage, fossil vs. renewable question.

"Democrats are rational, analytical, disciplined, innovative investigators of all things scientific, and republicans are primitive, reactionary, flat-earthers" clinging to old-fashioned, dusty, obsolete ideas." Oh, well, back to the divining rod, pi = 3, and climax ecosystems.

18. Nov 21, 2014 #17

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's a leading question. From my vantage point, both parties are culpable, or rather, the individuals/persons involved are culpable for the current situation. Certainly, there are Congresspersons who favor scientists and academic institutions in their own districts/states or even alma maters.

The administration also sets 'policy' as the various departments fall under the administration's purview.

Scientific research is discretionary, and beyond the ideological conflicts, there is the practical matter that the government is experiencing a chronic deficit and cumulative and increasing debt.

19. Nov 22, 2014 #18

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

As someone who is often at the mercy of federal funding, I do not see that much of a difference between Democrats and traditional Republicans. There have always been bipartisan support for science funding (at least, most of science), which, if you look at it carefully, is what it is all about.

What I do have a problem with is the indiscriminate slash-and-burn cuts to funding without regard to not only the importance, but also to the consequences well beyond the area being affected. In other words, I have strong words that I can't use in this forum towards Tea Party philosophy. The sequestration, the government shutdown, and the perpetual continuing resolution when the politicians can't come up with a budget on time, have done more to mess up science (and other parts of the government) than any kind of "science policy" that they can set!

Zz.

20. Nov 22, 2014 #19
    But are the new Republican senators that will take office in 2 months moderate (e.g. traditional) or Tea Partiers?

21. Nov 22, 2014 #20

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Can you give us a quick thumbnail sketch of "Tea Party philosophy?" Or a comparison to William Proxmire as better or worse? It's not something I've even bothered to notice, and the comparisons to "Zombie Apocalypse" or "return to Olduvai" that are current among the liberals in my social circle completely baffle me. Hitler had Mein Kampf, and the red peril had its Communist Manifesto, and ISI/LS has Bagdadhi's rantings and ravings, and the Tea Party has ??? saying ???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook