The 2.5-kg wieght is released from rest -- Determine the spring constant k

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
Alexanddros81
Messages
177
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


14.27 The 2.5-kg weight is released from rest in position A, where the two springs
of stiffness k each are undeformed. Determine the largest k for which the weight
would reach position B

Fig P14_27.jpg


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



Pytels_Dynamics115.jpg


Hi. Can you check if I am going at the right direction?
Also for ##Wy_B## and ##Wy_A## am I replacing with 2.5(0.45) and 2.5(0.3) respectively?
 
Attachments
  • Fig P14_27.jpg
    Fig P14_27.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,021
  • Pytels_Dynamics115.jpg
    Pytels_Dynamics115.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 596
Physics news on Phys.org
Do I replace ##Wy_A## and ##Wy_B## with 2.5(0.3) and 2.5(0.45) respectively?
 
Alexanddros81 said:
Do I replace ##Wy_A## and ##Wy_B## with 2.5(0.3) and 2.5(0.45) respectively?
Almost but not quite. Something is missing. The problem talks about a 2.5-kg weight. Is weight measured in kilograms?
 
A yes but ofcourse W = mg where mass is m=2.5kg.
But I don't understant why the Potential Energy of W is mg(0.3) at position A and mg(0.45) at position B.
I mean I don't understant it in relation to the Figure.
Can you explain to me a bit more?
At Which point do I say that the potential energy of W is zero? (in the figure)
 
Last edited:
Alexanddros81 said:
At Which point do I say that the potential energy of W is zero? (in the figure)
Any point you like. The zero of potential energy is irrelevant. Consider this, when a mass moves from point A to B, mechanical energy conservation says
TA + UA = TB + UB
or
TB - TA + UB - UA = 0
or
ΔT + ΔU = 0.
It's the difference that matters, not where you put the zero of energy because it drops out.
 
By the way do I post problem questions from
'Orbital Mechanics for Engineering Students' by Curtis
in this forum (Introductory Physics Homework)?
 
Last edited:
Alexanddros81 said:
By the way do I post problem questions form Orbital Mechanics for Engineers by Curtis
in this forum (Introductory Physics Homework)?
I am not familiar with the textbook. I looked at its table of contents and I think "Advanced Physics Homework" would be more appropriate. Try that and if I am wrong, a mentor will move it to its rightful place, perhaps in "Engineering."
 
Ok so here is my solution:

Pytels_Dynamics118.jpg
 
Attachments
  • Pytels_Dynamics118.jpg
    Pytels_Dynamics118.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 538
I didn't run the numbers, but the method is correct.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Alexanddros81