Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The application of of Fermi Dirac statistics in the white dwarf

1. Jul 21, 2014 #1
    hi guys, I wonder if I have fully understood the Fermi Dirac statistics properly, but I have a question on it regarding its application in the white dwarf research. I read the Fermi energy is applicable for T=0, now if the core of a white dwarf is too hot then how can we apply the Fermi Dirac statistics there to calculate the electron degeneracy ?

can you please explain me ?
    regards

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2014 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The temperature of a white dwarf is certainly very hot compared to our regular every day standards, but it is low compared to the Fermi temperature ##T_F\equiv \epsilon_F/k## and so a white dwarf is highly degenerate and we *must* use the Fermi Dirac statistics and not Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics.

T=0 is used only as an approximation, it should really read ##T<<T_F## for practical applications. This of course means that the object of interest is not, strictly speaking, totally degenerate, but it is strongly degenerate.

4. Jul 22, 2014 #3
    thanks a lot, now it makes sense

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted