The average separation between H2O molecules in pure water

In summary, the question is about calculating the average separation between H2O molecules in pure water. The diameter of the molecule is given as 0.29 nm and the bohr equation (r = (ε0*h2) / (π*m*e2)) and the equation ω = 1/n = 4π/3=r03 can potentially be used to solve the problem. The person asking the question only wants a clue to find the answer and not the answer itself.
Tom_Sg

Homework Statement

I can't answer to that question, and I don't know how to. I have to calculate the average separation between H2O molecules in pure water.

Homework Equations

The diameter of the molecule is 0.29 nm

I think we can use the bohr equation to resolve it? r = (ε0*h2) / (π*m*e2)

I also found this : ω (which is the average spacing) = 1/n = 4π/3=r03 (from here)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know.- I don't want the answer just some clue to get the answer. :)

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Using the density and the mass per molecule, you can figure out the number of molecules per, say 10 x 10 x 10 nm...

1. What is the average separation between H2O molecules in pure water?

The average separation between H2O molecules in pure water is approximately 2.75 angstroms, or 0.275 nanometers.

2. How is the average separation between H2O molecules in pure water calculated?

The average separation between H2O molecules in pure water is typically calculated using x-ray or neutron diffraction methods, which measure the distance between water molecules in a crystal lattice.

3. Does the average separation between H2O molecules in pure water vary?

Yes, the average separation between H2O molecules in pure water can vary depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities.

4. What is the significance of the average separation between H2O molecules in pure water?

The average separation between H2O molecules in pure water is important for understanding the physical properties of water, such as its density and viscosity, which play a crucial role in many biological, chemical, and physical processes.

5. How does the average separation between H2O molecules in pure water compare to other liquids?

The average separation between H2O molecules in pure water is relatively small compared to other liquids, due to the strong hydrogen bonding between water molecules. This results in a high cohesion and surface tension in water, making it a unique and essential substance for life on Earth.