The Best Textbook for a Good Understanding of Mathematics

  • Topic: Intro Math 
  • Thread starter Thread starter CRNS
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mathematics Textbook
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
CRNS
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I'm new here and have been studying Physics in my spare time for a couple of years now, but I always just seem to get by in the area of mathematics. Forgive me if I'm looking for something that doesn't exist or on the other hand is very easy to find as I'm not familiar with any of the current textbooks and what is good at the moment.

What I'm looking for is (with a view to be starting a university course in mathematics and physics quite soon) an up to date mathematics textbook that will cover all the topics that are required for 1st-2nd year university level studies and bridge the gap between high school maths and university maths. Preferably one that is geared towards physics as well.

I have a high school education in mathematics with some things I've picked up over my time doing physics but what I need is a book that lays it all out in front of me so I can work through all the topics I should know for that level at university.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Greg,

Sorry I should have mentioned yeah I did basic calculus in high school, I'm not sure what the equivalent is in the US but I got A+ in A level maths in the UK but never took it further.

Cheers
 
I second the Boas book. At a more advanced level Arfken's book is also used.