The cause of buoyancy in terms of the molecules

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
TheLil'Turkey
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
I think that buoyancy is caused by the increase of density with depth (the deeper you go, the more molecules there are per unit volume). Therefore an object in a fluid will be hit by more of the fluid molecules from below than from above (even if the difference is only a tiny fraction of 1%). Is this correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Right, but the object is likely compressed more then water so the buoyancy of the object is decreased?
 
It depends what the object is made out of. I just looked up water and copper and water is an order of magnitude more compressible.

I still don't feel 100% convinced that my hypothesis in the OP is correct.