Explaining depths reached by swimmer by conservation of energy/momentum

In summary: I'll try to be brief. Conservation of energy states that the total energy (potential and kinetic) of an object remains the same over its lifetime. In the case of a dive, the KE is removed from the system over a longer distance than in the case of a belly flop, due to the area of the object (the diver) that comes into contact with the water. This greater area of contact removes more KE than in the belly flop, resulting in a difference in depth between the two cases.
Jazz

Homework Statement

If you dive into water, you reach greater depths than if you do a belly flop. Explain this difference in depth using the concept of conservation of energy. Explain this difference in depth using what you have learned in this chapter**.

** It is referring to the chapter of Conservation of Momentum.

Homework Equations

##\Delta KE + \Delta PE + \Delta OE + W_{nc} = constant##

##\Delta p_1 + \Delta p_2 = constant##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to explain the difference just by conservation of energy and/or momentum.

If I assume that in both cases (diving and doing a belly flop) the center of mass of the person falls the same height ##h## before reaching the surface of the water, then the velocity will be ##v##, and hence there will be no difference between KE's and between momenta.

My attempt: It seems clear to me that, when diving, the KE is removed through a longer distance than in the other situation, which has to do with the area facing the fluid. A greater area facing the fluid (the belly flop case) implies a greater mass of water ''gathered'' underneath and hence a greater upward force against the person's motion. Consequently, it will remove their momentum in a shorter amount time.

When diving, the ''head-on collision'' is against a smaller area (less water molecules underneath), supplying a smaller upward force that will have to act for a longer amount of time to finally bring the person to rest (having imparted their momentum to the surrounding water molecules in the process).

In both cases the force is a nonconservative one, doing work against the person’s motion, removing KE from it while being transferred to other forms (since it increases the random motion of water molecules, would it be heat?).
--
I think it's too vague. I'm not satisfied by having brought water molecules into the picture. If I use the equations as guidance, there is no variable I can plug in specifying whether the person falls with the stomach of with their feet first (I feel that I'm confined to give a poor explanation).

I guess that using some concepts of fluids (density, buoyancy and pressure) I would be able to provide a better explanation. It seems that I tried to explain it by the difference in pressure, but I think I shouldn’t try that path yet, since I will learn that in later chapters.

Is there another way I can think about it?

Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm. I would have just said something along the line of streamlined shape, less water pushed aside, lower fluid resistance, hence lower energy losses per metre travelled? Is that not enough?

I think it's good :)

I'm afraid I've spent more time than necessary thinking about this ]:

1. How does conservation of energy/momentum explain the depths reached by a swimmer?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred from one form to another. In swimming, the swimmer's kinetic energy is converted into potential energy as they dive into the water. This potential energy is then converted back into kinetic energy as the swimmer moves through the water, propelling them to reach greater depths.

2. What factors affect the depths reached by a swimmer using conservation of energy/momentum?

The depth a swimmer can reach using conservation of energy/momentum is affected by several factors. These include the swimmer's initial velocity, the angle of their dive, their body mass and shape, and the density of the water they are swimming in. The swimmer can also adjust their technique, such as their stroke and breathing, to optimize their use of energy and momentum and reach greater depths.

3. Is the conservation of energy/momentum principle applicable to all types of swimming?

Yes, the principle of conservation of energy/momentum applies to all types of swimming, including freestyle, breaststroke, butterfly, and backstroke. It is a fundamental principle of physics that governs the movement of objects through a medium, such as water.

4. Can a swimmer reach unlimited depths using conservation of energy/momentum?

No, there are limitations to how deep a swimmer can reach using conservation of energy/momentum. As the swimmer descends deeper, the pressure of the water increases, which can affect their ability to maintain a steady stroke and breathing. Additionally, the swimmer's body will eventually reach a point where its density is equal to that of the water, making it difficult to continue diving deeper.

5. How can understanding conservation of energy/momentum help improve a swimmer's performance?

By understanding the principles of conservation of energy/momentum, a swimmer can optimize their technique and body positioning to maximize their use of energy and momentum. This can result in faster and more efficient swimming, allowing the swimmer to reach greater depths and improve their overall performance in the water.