The Chromatic Number of the Plane is at Least 5

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Ackbach
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Plane
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Ackbach
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
4,148
Reaction score
94
I love this stuff! An amateur gets this one, though his result is refined by the pros. His paper on arXiv is here.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ackbach said:
I love this stuff! An amateur gets this one, though his result is refined by the pros. His paper on arXiv is here.
Okay, why isn't the number four? Is this diagram of his not flat in the plane? I messed around with the 4 color theorem as a kid and I heard it was proved at some point. How is this one different?

-Dan
 
topsquark said:
Okay, why isn't the number four? Is this diagram of his not flat in the plane? I messed around with the 4 color theorem as a kid and I heard it was proved at some point. How is this one different?

-Dan

The 4-color theorem is for coherent neighboring countries.
This is a more general theorem for graphs for which apparently 4 colors is not enough. We need at least 5 colors.