The collision between two pucks

• Thread starter agadag
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving two pucks, A and B, with different masses and initial velocities colliding at an angle. The goal is to find the final velocities of both pucks. The conversation includes equations and attempts at solving the problem, with the final solution being that Puck A has a final speed of 3.41 m/s and Puck B has a final speed of 2.57 m/s.
agadag

Homework Statement

Puck A has a mass of 0.294 kg and is moving along the x-axis with a velocity of 5.55 m/s. It makes a collision with puck B, which has a mass of 0.588 kg and is initially at rest. The collision is not head-on. After the collision, the two pucks fly apart with the angles shown in the drawing. Find the final speed of
Puck A
Puck B

Homework Equations

I have spent an hour on this problem. I have two different eqns one for x and one for y, respectively:
m1v0 = m1v1 cos 65 + m2v2cos 37
and
0 = m1v1 sin 65 - m2v2 sin 37

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for v2 from the eqn for y and tried to plug that value into the eqn for x. This did not work and I am running out of ideas and patience. Please help! There is also a pic for this problem..

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 787
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you accidentally messed up you arithmetic when solving the question. Your X and Y equations are correct so you've set up your question correctly. i think you have just made a mistake when solving because the substitution of V2' of you Y equation into your X equation is the correct thing to do.

I got V1' = 3.41 m/s; V2' = 2.57 m/s; And these numbers make sense in my mind

Your numbers worked out perfectly. I don't understand where i am going wrong, because i am not getting your numbers. can you do a step by step please? id really appreciate it.

X-component: m1v1 = m1v1' cos 65 + m2v2'cos 37
Y-Component: 0 = m1v1' sin 65 - m2v2' sin 37

Y: 0 = m1v1' sin 65 - m2v2' sin 37
m1v1' sin 65 = m2v2' sin 37
m1v1' sin65/(m2sin37) = v2' -> Plug in numbers
(0.294 kg)*(v1')*(sin65)/[(0.588 kg)(sin37)] = v2'
0.75298*v1' = v2' -> substitute into the X

m1v1 = m1v1' cos 65 + m2v2'cos 37
(0.294 kg)(5.55 m/s) = (0.294 kg)v1'(cos65) + (0.588 kg)(0.75298v1')(cos37)
1.6317 kg*m/s = 0.12425*v1' kg + 0.3536*v1' kg
1.6317 kg*m/s = 0.4778*v1' kg
v1' = 3.41 m/s -> substiture back into Y

0.75298*v1' = v2'
0.75298*(3.41 m/s) = v2'
v2' = 2.57 m/s

So this was my solution... a lot messier on the computer but i hope you can find where you and i differed in our solutions and this can help you avoid the same mistake in the future.

Cheers

Thankyou so much! This was such a help to say the least

Related to The collision between two pucks

1. What causes the collision between two pucks?

The collision between two pucks is caused by the transfer of energy between the two objects. When they come into contact, the kinetic energy from one puck is transferred to the other, causing them to change direction or speed.

2. How does the speed of the pucks affect the collision?

The speed of the pucks plays a significant role in the collision. The higher the speed, the greater the force of impact, resulting in a more significant change in direction or speed of the pucks.

3. Can the mass of the pucks affect the collision?

Yes, the mass of the pucks can affect the collision. Objects with larger mass will have more inertia, making it more challenging to change their direction or speed during the collision.

4. What happens to the energy of the pucks after the collision?

After the collision, the total energy of the pucks remains the same. However, the kinetic energy is redistributed between the two pucks, resulting in changes in their speed and direction.

5. Is the collision between two pucks an elastic or inelastic collision?

The collision between two pucks can be either elastic or inelastic, depending on the type of material the pucks are made of and the conditions of the collision. In an elastic collision, the pucks bounce off each other and maintain their kinetic energy. In an inelastic collision, the pucks stick together, and some of their kinetic energy is lost as heat or sound.