The Current State of Mathematical Rigour

In summary, Fermat's last theorem is definitely true, but it is not the case that a^n+b^n=c^n cannot be the case if a, b, c, n are natural numbers with n≥3. Andrew Wiles and Richard Taylor's work showed that this is definitely true. If you are bright and have unlimited time, you could start with the most elementary theories in mathematics and state their axioms and then start proving theorems from these axioms, then add other theories and start proving their theorems until you get to all the current knowledge in mathematics.
CuriousCarrot
Sorry if that title doesn't match up well with my question. I think it captures roughly what I'm wondering about.

My uncertainty is to do with how much of mathematics is certainly true. Like, if I picked up any undergrad or grad textbook in mathematics, would everything in it be true based on the axioms for the areas the book explored?

Is Fermat's last theorem definitely true? Is it actually the case that a^n+b^n=c^n cannot be the case if a, b, c, n are natural numbers with n≥3? Did Andrew Wiles and Richard Taylor's work show that this is definitely true?

If I were bright enough and had unlimited time, Could I start with the most elementary theories in mathematics, state their axioms, and then start proving theorems from these axioms, then add other theories in mathematics, state their axioms and start proving their theorems until I got to all the current knowledge of mathematics?

Is it a valid method of proof to use other theories to prove theorems in one theory, e.g. Different theories to prove Fermat's last theorem in number theory. I guess it must be necessary if a proof is to exist in some cases by Godel's incompleteness theorems...is that right?

How would I go about studying mathematics from first principles?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Another question, how can you be sure that a system of axioms does not lead to a contradiction when you develop the theory from them? E. G. Is it possible that the Peano axioms could lead to a contradiction? As you've probably guessed I'm a bit confused in general...

CuriousCarrot said:
If I were bright enough and had unlimited time, Could I start with the most elementary theories in mathematics, state their axioms, and then start proving theorems from these axioms, then add other theories in mathematics, state their axioms and start proving their theorems until I got to all the current knowledge of mathematics?
In principle: Yes.

You would probably discover that some people made mistakes. I don't know the rate, but it is basically guaranteed that some published proofs are wrong. It is very unlikely for the famous ones as they have been checked over and over again, but there are also publications hardly anyone cares about.
CuriousCarrot said:
How would I go about studying mathematics from first principles?
Every good introductory university lecture does this.
CuriousCarrot said:
Another question, how can you be sure that a system of axioms does not lead to a contradiction when you develop the theory from them? E. G. Is it possible that the Peano axioms could lead to a contradiction? As you've probably guessed I'm a bit confused in general...
It is interesting that a system of axioms (with sufficient content to do something non-trivial) does not allow a proof that it is free of contradictions within itself. You might use a different set of axioms to prove the consistency.
Wikipedia article
Also relevant

mfb said:
In principle: Yes.

You would probably discover that some people made mistakes. I don't know the rate, but it is basically guaranteed that some published proofs are wrong. It is very unlikely for the famous ones as they have been checked over and over again, but there are also publications hardly anyone cares about.Every good introductory university lecture does this.It is interesting that a system of axioms (with sufficient content to do something non-trivial) does not allow a proof that it is free of contradictions within itself. You might use a different set of axioms to prove the consistency.
Wikipedia article
Also relevant
Would the proof of consistency from the other set of axioms rely on the consistency of those axioms, which in turn relies on a proof of consistency from a further set of axioms, and so on? How do you get around this? Is it even an issue? Could you prove just that based on your axioms for the second system, the first system is consistent and there is no proof it is inconsistent? I'm a bit confused.

CuriousCarrot said:
Is it even an issue?
The system of axioms used can be quite small, and no one expects a contradiction, but mathematically you cannot show it for all the systems you want to use.

CuriousCarrot said:
Would the proof of consistency from the other set of axioms rely on the consistency of those axioms, which in turn relies on a proof of consistency from a further set of axioms, and so on? How do you get around this? Is it even an issue? Could you prove just that based on your axioms for the second system, the first system is consistent and there is no proof it is inconsistent? I'm a bit confused.
Alfred North Whitehead and Bertrand Russell tried to do exactly that in Principia Mathematica (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principia_Mathematica). Then Kurt Gödel came along and wrecked the whole project (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gödel's_incompleteness_theorems).

Last edited:

1. What is mathematical rigour?

Mathematical rigour refers to the level of precision, accuracy, and completeness in mathematical reasoning and proofs. It ensures that mathematical statements are logically sound and free from errors.

2. Why is mathematical rigour important?

Mathematical rigour is crucial because it allows for the development of reliable and trustworthy mathematical theories and concepts. It also ensures that mathematical arguments are valid and can be replicated by others, promoting reproducibility and progress in mathematics.

3. How has the current state of mathematical rigour evolved over time?

The concept of mathematical rigour has been a central focus in mathematics since ancient times. However, with the development of formal logic and set theory in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, mathematical rigour became more standardized and rigorous. Today, the use of computers and advanced mathematical techniques has further enhanced the level of rigour in mathematics.

4. What challenges exist in achieving mathematical rigour?

One of the main challenges in achieving mathematical rigour is the complexity of mathematical concepts and theories. It can be challenging to ensure that every step in a proof is logically valid and free from errors. Additionally, the use of advanced mathematical techniques and notation can also make it difficult for non-experts to understand and verify proofs.

5. How can mathematical rigour be improved in the future?

There are several ways to improve mathematical rigour in the future. One approach is to encourage the use of formal logic and proof assistants in mathematical research and education. Additionally, promoting collaboration and peer-review among mathematicians can also help identify and correct errors in proofs. Emphasizing the importance of mathematical rigour in education and research can also lead to a higher standard of rigour in the future.